Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Alain Muls

Default Coming out of screen lock mode

Hi All,

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 using Unity.
I like the unity interface but I have since a couple of weeks a major problem.

Sometimes when the screen is locked (screensaving mode), the system
will not redisplay.
Everything is still running (eg. a script continues to run) but the
X-display is black with only a mouse cursor visible.

Is there anything I can change?

Tx/Alain

Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Marius Gedminas

Hi!

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:51:03AM +0100, Alain Muls wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 using Unity.
> I like the unity interface but I have since a couple of weeks a major
> problem.
>
> Sometimes when the screen is locked (screensaving mode), the system
> will not redisplay.
> Everything is still running (eg. a script continues to run) but the
> X-display is black with only a mouse cursor visible.

Sounds like a bug I've seen a few times. Do you know what video card
you have? ('lspci|grep VGA' in a terminal is probably the simplest way
to check)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/793893

> Is there anything I can change?

What used to help me was killing and restarting compiz. I'd switch to a
text console with Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, killall -9 compiz, restart compiz
on the console with DISPLAY=:0 compiz, switch back to the GUI with
Ctrl+Alt+F7, which should be working now, and then restart unity for
good measure (Alt+F2, unity, Enter). Then switch back to Ctrl+Alt+F1
and log out from the text console, and go back to the GUI with
Ctrl+Alt+F7 again.

Annoying, as you can see, but perhaps a bit less annoying than
rebooting.

Marius Gedminas
--
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions

Old 12-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Liam Proven

On 16 December 2011 09:51, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 using Unity.
> I like the unity interface but I have since a couple of weeks a major problem.
>
> Sometimes when the screen is locked (screensaving mode), the system
> will not redisplay.
> Everything is still running (eg. a script continues to run) but the
> X-display is black with only a mouse cursor visible.
>
> Is there anything I can change?

You can force the screen to redraw by switching to one of the
text-mode virtual consoles with Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6, then back to
the GUI with Alt-F7. Might be worth a try. If not, try the more
drastic step described in the previous reply.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Liam Proven

On 18 December 2011 16:45, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2011 09:51, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 using Unity.
>> I like the unity interface but I have since a couple of weeks a major problem.
>>
>> Sometimes when the screen is locked (screensaving mode), the system
>> will not redisplay.
>> Everything is still running (eg. a script continues to run) but the
>> X-display is black with only a mouse cursor visible.
>>
>> Is there anything I can change?
>
> You can force the screen to redraw by switching to one of the
> text-mode virtual consoles with Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6, then back to
> the GUI with Alt-F7. Might be worth a try. If not, try the more
> drastic step described in the previous reply.

This is very odd. I have had a very spammy-looking email in response
to this post, claiming to be from the "CEO" of a company called
"Swirl" but signed "Ubuntu Technical Support".

Anyone else getting such messages?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Art

I like the unity interface but I have since a couple of weeks a major problem.

Sometimes when the screen is locked (screensaving mode), the system
will not redisplay.

Try just typing in your password, even if you can't see what you are typing.