Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 AM
NoOp

Default how do i delete my home on root partition?

On 12/15/2011 06:16 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 05:29 PM, Sushil Mantri wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using a new disk for my home, but i am not able to reclaim the
>> space my old home has on the root partition.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sushil
>>

> I'm just another random stranger on the Internets, but first thing to
> say, completely ignore the previous two replies to this query. (What
> are people smoking?)
>
> The easiest way to do this will be to boot from a Live CD (the Ubuntu
> Desktop install cd should work fine), use the file manager to find and
> open your root partition and delete the contents of home from here.
> (Don't delete the home folder itself, you still need the /home on the
> root partition as a mount point.)

Which is exactly what this does without booting to a liveCD:
$ sudo rm -R /home/<oldhome>

Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 18:28 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 06:16 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> > On 12/15/2011 05:29 PM, Sushil Mantri wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using a new disk for my home, but i am not able to reclaim the
> >> space my old home has on the root partition.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Sushil
> >>

> > I'm just another random stranger on the Internets, but first thing to
> > say, completely ignore the previous two replies to this query. (What
> > are people smoking?)
> >
> > The easiest way to do this will be to boot from a Live CD (the Ubuntu
> > Desktop install cd should work fine), use the file manager to find and
> > open your root partition and delete the contents of home from here.
> > (Don't delete the home folder itself, you still need the /home on the
> > root partition as a mount point.)
>
> Which is exactly what this does without booting to a liveCD:
> $ sudo rm -R /home/<oldhome>
----
umm... no because he has a 'new' disk which is mounted at /home which
obscures all of the files that actually reside in /home on his original
disk... the ones he actually wants to delete.

If there wasn't any user logged in, you could probably
<Control><Alt><F2> switch to a virtual console and login as root (root
would actually need a password to do this). Then as root, you would
'umount /home', rm -fr /home/* and then 'mount /home'

But the trick is to make sure that the 'new disk' containing '/home'
isn't mounted.

I think the Live CD is easier.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Rashkae

I am using a new disk for my home, but i am not able to reclaim the
space my old home has on the root partition.

Thanks,
Sushil

I'm just another random stranger on the Internets, but first thing to
say, completely ignore the previous two replies to this query. (What
are people smoking?)

The easiest way to do this will be to boot from a Live CD (the Ubuntu
Desktop install cd should work fine), use the file manager to find and
open your root partition and delete the contents of home from here.
(Don't delete the home folder itself, you still need the /home on the
root partition as a mount point.)

Which is exactly what this does without booting to a liveCD:
$ sudo rm -R /home/<oldhome>

Somehow, we are reading the question very differently.

To me, it sounds like he added a new disk or partition to his system and
is now mounting that as /home, wheras it used to be on his root
partition. He won't be able to delete the old home (and free up the
disk space) until /home is unmounted.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

<SIGH :-( > Kids.....

I provided the answer. Why not use it and save all the crap?

BC

--
Diapers and politicians should be changed often; both for the same reason.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Sushil Mantri

Ofcourse i couldn't delete my home directly, it would have deleted my
new partition. I changed my fstab to remove the new partition as home,
and rebooted. So i was back with a home on my root partition. I tried
what Ric suggested . My /opt didnot have any data. I moved my home
to opt
mv /home /opt
I wasn't sure it would let me move my home folder but it does. so my
home was in /opt/sushil . I then deleted this folder. Added the entry
back in fstab

Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

<SIGH>

I give up.....

BC

--
Diapers and politicians should be changed often; both for the same reason.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 AM
Sushil Mantri

Actually there's a cooler solution http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/340

mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
rm -fr /mnt/tmp/home/*

Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Ric Moore

Ofcourse i couldn't delete my home directly, it would have deleted my
new partition. I changed my fstab to remove the new partition as home,
and rebooted. So i was back with a home on my root partition. I tried
what Ric suggested . My /opt didnot have any data. I moved my home
to opt
mv /home /opt
I wasn't sure it would let me move my home folder but it does. so my
home was in /opt/sushil . I then deleted this folder. Added the entry
back in fstab

...and you have your old /home partition now as /opt? Great!
As I mentioned, depending on the size of the new /opt partition, you can
store your video and audio files there, and just make a link in your new
home directory to point Videos, Music, Pictures to directories in /opt/
Next time you need to, you could wipe out /home yet still have all your
goodies intact in /opt/ I've been doing that for eons. Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 PM
NoOp

On 12/15/2011 07:06 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 18:28 -0800, NoOp wrote:

>> > I'm just another random stranger on the Internets, but first thing to
>> > say, completely ignore the previous two replies to this query. (What
>> > are people smoking?)
>> >
>> > The easiest way to do this will be to boot from a Live CD (the Ubuntu
>> > Desktop install cd should work fine), use the file manager to find and
>> > open your root partition and delete the contents of home from here.
>> > (Don't delete the home folder itself, you still need the /home on the
>> > root partition as a mount point.)
>>
>> Which is exactly what this does without booting to a liveCD:
>> $ sudo rm -R /home/<oldhome>
> ----
> umm... no because he has a 'new' disk which is mounted at /home which
> obscures all of the files that actually reside in /home on his original
> disk... the ones he actually wants to delete.

Ah. Got it. Thanks.

Gary

Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 PM
NoOp

On 12/15/2011 07:13 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 09:28 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> The easiest way to do this will be to boot from a Live CD (the Ubuntu
>>> Desktop install cd should work fine), use the file manager to find and
>>> open your root partition and delete the contents of home from here.
>>> (Don't delete the home folder itself, you still need the /home on the
>>> root partition as a mount point.)
>> Which is exactly what this does without booting to a liveCD:
>> $ sudo rm -R /home/<oldhome>
>>

> Somehow, we are reading the question very differently.
>
> To me, it sounds like he added a new disk or partition to his system and
> is now mounting that as /home, wheras it used to be on his root
> partition. He won't be able to delete the old home (and free up the
> disk space) until /home is unmounted.

Got it. Thanks.