-   -   disabling ipv6 on 11.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/610674-disabling-ipv6-11-04-a.html)

Greg Pelly 12-15-2011 10:56 PM

disabling ipv6 on 11.04

Hi,

I have HBase installed on a a Ubuntu 11.04 box. It's having problems and they are due to the fact that ipv6 is enabled, the advice is to disable ipv6. The method of disabling appears to be adding the following three lines to sysctl.conf:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1

net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

When I do this and reboot the machine it makes no difference. When I run sysctl -p I get the following messages:

error: "Operation not permitted" setting key "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6"

error: "Operation not permitted" setting key "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6"
error: "Operation not permitted" setting key "net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6"

I've been searching on the web for other ways of disabling ipv6 without much luck, all direct me to files that don't exist on the system.

Regards,
Greg

sktsee 12-16-2011 11:24 PM

disabling ipv6 on 11.04