Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default Problems with starting Xubuntu

Hi.
I just installed Xubuntu 11.10 on a system on a 1 TB Hitachi disk from
an USB-stick.
Installation went like a breeze and running as Live-USB from the stick
also gave no problem.
However, when I started from the disk The graphical interface was
unusable. I graphic mode (in which it started) the monitor displayed
"signal out of range" and when I shifted to terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1) the
characters are illegible, rather large some are in reverse script

and others are not recognizable.
The monitor is an LM17N with specs 1280x1024@75Hz H-freq 31-81 V-freq
56-75. I thought reasonable values, i suspect that Xubuntu uses a V-freq
over 75 Hz and the monitor refuses that.
However, How can I correct this. Using Esc. when starting or F4 doesn't
work. Using the Live USB I looked at the xorg.conf but there nothing is
seen (only default for device and screen).
The video-card is I think an NVIDIA board but it is a somewhat older
system (2005) and worked always without a problem (with Ubuntu 8.04 and
Windows).

Can anybody shed some light on this problem as I need it solved.
Thanks in advance,
Joep

Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 December 2011 13:47, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Hi.
> I just installed Xubuntu 11.10 on a system on a 1 TB Hitachi disk from an
> USB-stick.
> Installation went like a breeze and running as Live-USB from the stick also
> gave no problem.
> However, when I started from the disk The graphical interface was unusable.
> I graphic mode (in which it started) the monitor displayed "signal out of
> range" and when I shifted to terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1) the characters are
> illegible, rather large some are in reverse script
> and others are not recognizable.
> The monitor is an LM17N with specs 1280x1024@75Hz H-freq 31-81 V-freq 56-75.
> I thought reasonable values, i suspect that Xubuntu uses a V-freq over 75 Hz
> and the monitor refuses that.
> However, How can I correct this. Using Esc. when starting or F4 doesn't
> work. Using the Live USB I looked at the xorg.conf but there nothing is seen
> (only default for device and screen).
> The video-card is I think an NVIDIA board but it is a somewhat older system
> (2005) and worked always without a problem (with Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows).
> Can anybody shed some light on this problem as I need it solved.
> Thanks in advance,
> Joep

Try using Ctrl-Alt-numeric-keypad-plus or
Ctrl-Alt-numeric-keypad-minus to change the resolution up or down. If
you are lucky, you should hit one that your monitor can display. Then
install the proprietary nVidia drivers, which should, assuming that
they work correctly, detect your monitor & its optimal resolutions
automagically.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Nils Kassube

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I just installed Xubuntu 11.10 on a system on a 1 TB Hitachi disk
> from an USB-stick.

> However, when I started from the disk The graphical interface was
> unusable. I graphic mode (in which it started) the monitor displayed
> "signal out of range" and when I shifted to terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1)
> the characters are illegible, rather large some are in reverse
> script and others are not recognizable.
> The monitor is an LM17N with specs 1280x1024@75Hz H-freq 31-81 V-freq
> 56-75. I thought reasonable values, i suspect that Xubuntu uses a
> V-freq over 75 Hz and the monitor refuses that.
> However, How can I correct this. Using Esc. when starting or F4
> doesn't work.

ESC was used with the old GRUB but 11.10 uses GRUB2. There you can get
to the boot menu if you hold the shift key.

> Using the Live USB I looked at the xorg.conf but there
> nothing is seen (only default for device and screen).

That's normal because the xserver doesn't need the xorg.conf any longer.
However if it exists, it would be used.

> The video-card is I think an NVIDIA board but it is a somewhat older
> system (2005) and worked always without a problem (with Ubuntu 8.04
> and Windows).

You can find out which video card you have from the command line with
this command:

lspci | grep -i vga

I would suggest to check the file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log". Perhaps there
is a hint what went wrong with the monitor setup.

Do you still have an old xorg.conf from a previous *Ubuntu version? You
could try to use that file with the current Xubuntu version.

Nils

Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Nils & Liam,
Thanks for the reply. I will try the given suggestions. The problem I
think is the V-freq that is wrong and I hope that the change in
resolution will work.
I cannot use lspci as not only the resolution is apparently out of range
but also the character set used is wrong when in a terminal.

I let you know if any of the gien solutions work.
Thanks anyway,
Joep

Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 14-12-11 17:14, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > You can find out which video card you have from the command line
> > with this command:
> >
> > lspci | grep -i vga

> I cannot use lspci as not only the resolution is apparently out of
> range but also the character set used is wrong when in a terminal.

Sorry, I didn't mention that you could run the command from the Live-
USB-Stick if you can't reach a usable resolution e.g. in the recovery
mode. The result of the command should be the same if you run it from
the installed system or from the Live-USB-Stick.

Nils

Old 12-14-2011, 09:20 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

You can find out which video card you have from the command line
with this command:

lspci | grep -i vga

I cannot use lspci as not only the resolution is apparently out of
range but also the character set used is wrong when in a terminal.

Sorry, I didn't mention that you could run the command from the Live-
USB-Stick if you can't reach a usable resolution e.g. in the recovery
mode. The result of the command should be the same if you run it from
the installed system or from the Live-USB-Stick.

Nils

Fhanks Nils.
I'll do that and let you know the results tomorrow as it is here now
11.20 PM.

Joep

Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Ric Moore