Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Manually installing SeaMonkey

In the past I used the version of Seamonkey (2.03) in the Ubuntu 10.04
repositories. Because of some conflicts between my isp and SeaMonkey I
manually installed the then current versions of Firefox/Thunderbird.
They worked well for awhile but now with their rapid release cycle I
have been having annoying problems with them.

I would like to install the current version of SeaMonkey but have a
question about what happens in the /.mozilla folder. There is already a
Seamonkey folder in it. How will the installation of Seamonkey handle
this? Or will Seamonkey create it own .seamonkey folder like
Thunderbird does?

Thanks, Jim

Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
NoOp

On 12/13/2011 01:52 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> In the past I used the version of Seamonkey (2.03) in the Ubuntu 10.04
> repositories. Because of some conflicts between my isp and SeaMonkey I
> manually installed the then current versions of Firefox/Thunderbird.
> They worked well for awhile but now with their rapid release cycle I
> have been having annoying problems with them.
>
> I would like to install the current version of SeaMonkey but have a
> question about what happens in the /.mozilla folder. There is already a
> Seamonkey folder in it. How will the installation of Seamonkey handle
> this? Or will Seamonkey create it own .seamonkey folder like
> Thunderbird does?
>
> Thanks, Jim

It will use the existing ~/.mozilla/seamonkey folder. It will also use
the old 2.03 profile if it's still there.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Jim Byrnes

In the past I used the version of Seamonkey (2.03) in the Ubuntu 10.04
repositories. Because of some conflicts between my isp and SeaMonkey I
manually installed the then current versions of Firefox/Thunderbird.
They worked well for awhile but now with their rapid release cycle I
have been having annoying problems with them.

I would like to install the current version of SeaMonkey but have a
question about what happens in the /.mozilla folder. There is already a
Seamonkey folder in it. How will the installation of Seamonkey handle
this? Or will Seamonkey create it own .seamonkey folder like
Thunderbird does?

Thanks, Jim

It will use the existing ~/.mozilla/seamonkey folder. It will also use
the old 2.03 profile if it's still there.

OK, I still have some info in that profile so to be safe I'll make a
copy of it before installing. As always thanks for your help.

Regards, Jim

Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
NoOp

On 12/13/2011 02:59 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 04:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> It will use the existing ~/.mozilla/seamonkey folder. It will also use
>> the old 2.03 profile if it's still there.
>>

> OK, I still have some info in that profile so to be safe I'll make a
> copy of it before installing. As always thanks for your help.
>
> Regards, Jim

Given that you are starting/restarting using SeaMonkey again, I'd
recommend going straight to 2.6 beta 3:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.6b3
[64 bit is at the bottom of the page]

Reason being is that SeaMonkey also follows the rapid release cycle as
the browser is primarily Firefox code, and the mail/nntp client is
slightly modified Thunderbird code. 2.6 will move to release on December 20:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
You'll be able to update to 2.6b4 from the 'Help|Check for Updates', but
when SM 2.6 goes live, it's best to download the final version as the
update channel is set to beta in this version. The final version resets
it back to standard. Or you can modify it yourself in the
/seamonkey/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js; change "beta" to "release".

If you have a lightning calendar, you'll need version 1.1:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Calendar/Calendar_Versions
Be aware, that you *can't* go back to your old calendar in 2.03 as the
formats & binaries are different. So be sure to back up your calendar
data. Best is to just use a different profile for 2.03 and for 2.6.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Liam Proven

On 13 December 2011 21:52, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> In the past I used the version of Seamonkey (2.03) in the Ubuntu 10.04
> repositories. *Because of some conflicts between my isp and SeaMonkey I
> manually installed the then current versions of Firefox/Thunderbird. They
> worked well for awhile but now with their rapid release cycle I have been
> having annoying problems with them.
>
> I would like to install the current version of SeaMonkey but have a question
> about what happens in the /.mozilla folder. *There is already a Seamonkey
> folder in it. *How will the installation of Seamonkey handle this? *Or will
> Seamonkey create it own .seamonkey folder like Thunderbird does?

Don't worry about it. I did this too; it picks up the old profile no problem.

Currently 2.5 seems to be a nicely stable release. TBH I find "stable"
releases of Seamonkey flakey enough that I would not recommend running
betas or release candidates, but of course, it's up to you.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Jim Byrnes

It will use the existing ~/.mozilla/seamonkey folder. It will also use
the old 2.03 profile if it's still there.

OK, I still have some info in that profile so to be safe I'll make a
copy of it before installing. As always thanks for your help.

Regards, Jim

Given that you are starting/restarting using SeaMonkey again, I'd
recommend going straight to 2.6 beta 3:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.6b3
[64 bit is at the bottom of the page]

To late I already went with 2.5. I looked at that but decided to avoid
the betas for now.

Reason being is that SeaMonkey also follows the rapid release cycle as
the browser is primarily Firefox code, and the mail/nntp client is
slightly modified Thunderbird code. 2.6 will move to release on December 20:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
You'll be able to update to 2.6b4 from the 'Help|Check for Updates', but
when SM 2.6 goes live, it's best to download the final version as the
update channel is set to beta in this version. The final version resets
it back to standard. Or you can modify it yourself in the
/seamonkey/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js; change "beta" to "release".

I hope they lag far enough behind that stuff gets caught and fixed
before it goes out the door. I think I've had more annoying problems
with Firefox since they started their rapid release program than in all
the previous years I've used it.

If you have a lightning calendar, you'll need version 1.1:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Calendar/Calendar_Versions
Be aware, that you *can't* go back to your old calendar in 2.03 as the
formats& binaries are different. So be sure to back up your calendar
data. Best is to just use a different profile for 2.03 and for 2.6.

I used to use it but it was way more than I needed. I find that
Reminder Fox does what I need.

Regards, JIm