Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM
"Maxime Alarie"

Default Need to create a VPN Tunel

Good day,
*
I need to create a vpn tunnel between our main office and our *European branche. **I heard we could do that with Linux but I have* never configured a VPN tunnel with Ubuntu.* What would* you suggest *I use to achieve my goal?* *I see Open VPN, but I am not sure *if its free.
*
Any suggestion are welcome.
*
*
*
*

Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM
"compdoc"

>I need to create a vpn tunnel between our main office and our ¬*European branche. ¬*¬*
¬*
Openvpn is free and relatively easy to set up, and requires only 1 port open in the router/firewall. Openvpn is also nice in that there are clients for Windows and most other OSes.

Many routers/firewalls have a built in VPN, so that might be the first place to look. There is a free-to-use firewall named EFW (Endian Firewall) that is great in that it allows you to create a tunnel using openvpn or IPsec, that you can leave open all the time and connect to any ip address on the opposite lan whenever you need.
¬*
With any VPN just make sure the IP address range you use on your lan is different than the range used on the remote lan, or there will be conflicts and services failing…
¬*
¬*
¬*
¬*

Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 PM
"franz.reitinger"

OpenVPN is a great project and systems like Ubuntu offer a comfortable
installation by apt. I've adopted OpenVPN in several installation
because Windows (also Win XP, Win7, 32/64) is supported for free. The
configuration is rather simple & if you will use iptables for
firewalling the OpenVPN-documentation shows same examples for a proper
usage. However - using the routing solution (tun-device) implies to
investigate a little bit work into the iptable-firewalling.

Basically OpenVPN can be used without license for a maximum number of 2
users that are simultaneously connect to the VPN-Server. More details
concerning the license model can be found here
(http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/pricing.html). The
pricing is rather moderate for a piece of software working without
troubles.

/franzR

I need to create a vpn tunnel between our main office and our
European

branche. I heard we could do that with Linux but I have never
configured a VPN tunnel with Ubuntu. What would you suggest I use to
achieve my goal? I see Open VPN, but I am not sure if its free.

Any suggestion are welcome.

/* ************************************************** ********** *
Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).
************************************************** ********** */

/*

* Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Eero Volotinen

2011/12/13 franz.reitinger <franz.reitinger@htl-wels.at>:

> Basically OpenVPN can be used without license for a maximum number of 2
> users that are simultaneously connect to the VPN-Server. More details
> concerning the license model can be found here
> (http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/pricing.html). The pricing
> is rather moderate for a piece of software working without troubles.

OpenVPN is free software, maybe you are talking about commercial
edition of openvpn access server?

--
Eero