Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
LinuxIsOne

Default a simple boot menu question

Hi,

I have a simple doubt that in the file '/etc/default/grub', we have two lines:

(i)* GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
(ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

(i) If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0*** to

either*** #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0*** or*** GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT= {nothing after the equal sign}

does the above two lines are exactly same? Since in the second we are just not having any time, so that it always display the boot menu (while the PC boots) and the same thing (?) are we doing when we are appending '#' symbol at the beginning of the line...is it okay that anyone of this is okay?

(ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true*** to

either**** #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true*** or*** GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false

does the same thing? since making it 'false' so that the grub shows a countdown to the timeout value (by default 10 secs) or either appending '#' at the beginning of the file. Either of these two are the same thing?

AND finally running:

sudo update-grub
sudo update-grub2

Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Colin Law

On 14 December 2011 12:18, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple doubt that in the file '/etc/default/grub', we have two lines:
>
> (i)* GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
> (ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
>

> (i) If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0*** to
>
> either*** #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0*** or*** GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=
> {nothing after the equal sign}
>
> does the above two lines are exactly same? Since in the second we are
> just not having any time, so that it always display the boot menu
> (while the PC boots) and the same thing (?) are we doing when we are
> appending '#' symbol at the beginning of the line...is it okay that
> anyone of this is okay?
>

> (ii) GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
>
> If I change GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true*** to
>
> either**** #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true*** or
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false
>
> does the same thing? since making it 'false' so that the grub shows a
> countdown to the timeout value (by default 10 secs) or either
> appending '#' at the beginning of the file. Either of these two are
> the same thing?
>

> AND finally running:
>
> sudo update-grub
> sudo update-grub2

You don't need both of those, just sudo update-grub will suffice.
As far as the other questions are concerned why not just try it and
see? That will be much quicker than waiting for a reply here. I
don't know the answers, or more correctly do not have the time to find
out.

Colin

Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> You don't need both of those, just sudo update-grub will suffice.

Okay.

> As far as the other questions are concerned why not just try it and
> see?

Yeah sure I did seems almost same but I think there should be some
technical reasons there.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 PM
NoOp

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2>

Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> either * *#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 * *or * *GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT= *{nothing
>> after the equal sign}*

Okay well and the same for:

either #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true or
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 PM
NoOp

On 12/14/2011 10:44 AM, LinuxIsOne wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>> either #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 or GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT= *{nothing
>>> after the equal sign}*
>
> Okay well and the same for:
>
> either #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true or
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false
>
> Thanks.

Why don't you /read/ the information at the link I provided to you?
I'll give you some help:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring_GRUB_2>

Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Why don't you /read/ the information at the link I provided to you?
> I'll give you some help:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring_GRUB_2>

Well I read that, I missed it, I am sorry.

Thanks.