-   -   rsyslog on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Server (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/609549-rsyslog-ubuntu-linux-10-04-lts-lucid-lynx-server.html)

Kaushal Shriyan 12-12-2011 10:17 PM

rsyslog on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Server

Hi
Is there a step by step guide to install rsyslog on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS Server(Lucid Lynx) and configure clients to listen to the rsyslog server and any free GUI Web Interface to view rsyslog server ?

Regards,
Kaushal

Clint Byrum 12-13-2011 10:11 PM

rsyslog on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Server

Excerpts from Kaushal Shriyan's message of Mon Dec 12 15:18:32 -0800 2011:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a step by step guide to install rsyslog on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS
> Server(Lucid Lynx) and configure clients to listen to the rsyslog server
> and any free GUI Web Interface to view rsyslog server ?

rsyslog is actually installed by default in 10.04, so you should have
it on all of your Ubuntu server 10.04 installs.

It will, by default, not listen for incoming traffic, so you will need
to edit /etc/rsyslog.conf and uncomment these lines:

# provides UDP syslog reception
#$ModLoad imudp
#$UDPServerRun 514

# provides TCP syslog reception
#$ModLoad imtcp
#$InputTCPServerRun 514

Also for your clients, you need to tell them to send their logs to the
main server. Simplest way to do this is to add a file to /etc/rsyslog.d
that has this in it:

*.* @your.syslog.server

I'd suggest reading 'man rsyslog.conf', under the section "Remote machine"
for some tips on how to tune the reliability of these messages.

As far as log viewing, I'm a fan of using ssh windows for it.. and 'ccze'
for colorizing the messages... this works:

tail -F /var/log/syslog | ccze