Old 12-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Andre Massing

Default enigmail does not find gpg-agent in kde

Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Andre Massing

Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
uteck

I think you need you need to install 'kgpg' so KDE has the hooks to
use PGP. I am not sure if that is installed by default.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Andre Massing
<andre.massing@googlemail.com> wrote:

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 16/12/11 16:48, Andre Massing wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have already asked for some advice at the ubuntu-user list a week
> ago, so sorry for the cross-posting, but I haven't got any reply yet..
> So maybe it is a more kubuntu-specific. So the problem is that
> I recently ran into the following problem after I installed the
> kubuntu-desktop in addition to my Gnome desktop:
>
> After logging in into KDE thunderbird/enigmail complains
> "Could not start the gpg-agent program which is needed for your GnuPG
> 2.0.17"
>
> Checking my environments variables in Konsole reveals that the
> GPG_AGENT_INFO variable was not set.
>
> Strangely everything works out of the box under gnome 3 + thunderbird
> + enigmail with the same enigmail settings, GPG_AGENT_INFO is set etc.
> (BTW, gpg executable is manually set to gpgp2 in the enigmail preferences)
>
> After some googlging it seems that the gnome-key-ring is somehow used
> to communicate with gpg-agent, and I remember I was asked for a
> password once or twice during my first login into KDE (but not any more).
>
> Is there maybe an issue with not starting some required services from
> within the KDE session?
>
> Does anybody has any ideas or pointers where to start to investigate
> and to nail down that problem? Or has anybody experienced somehow
> similar problems? I could not find any bug report or question related
> to that issue...
>
> And, of course, any help, pointers etc. are very much appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Andre

gpg-agent should be started by X when it starts. you should have a file
called:

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent

look for it, and see if it exists, this file is part of the gnupg-agent
package.
another thing, what is the default login screen? kdm or gdm?

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Andre Massing

Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Andre Massing

On 12/16/2011 06:03 PM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 16/12/11 16:48, Andre Massing wrote:
>>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I have already asked for some advice at the ubuntu-user list a
>> week ago, so sorry for the cross-posting, but I haven't got any
>> reply yet.. So maybe it is a more kubuntu-specific. So the
>> problem is that I recently ran into the following problem after I
>> installed the kubuntu-desktop in addition to my Gnome desktop:
>>
>> After logging in into KDE thunderbird/enigmail complains "Could
>> not start the gpg-agent program which is needed for your GnuPG
>> 2.0.17"
>>
>> Checking my environments variables in Konsole reveals that the
>> GPG_AGENT_INFO variable was not set.
>>
>> Strangely everything works out of the box under gnome 3 +
>> thunderbird + enigmail with the same enigmail settings,
>> GPG_AGENT_INFO is set etc. (BTW, gpg executable is manually set
>> to gpgp2 in the enigmail preferences)
>>
>> After some googlging it seems that the gnome-key-ring is somehow
>> used to communicate with gpg-agent, and I remember I was asked
>> for a password once or twice during my first login into KDE (but
>> not any more).
>>
>> Is there maybe an issue with not starting some required services
>> from within the KDE session?
>>
>> Does anybody has any ideas or pointers where to start to
>> investigate and to nail down that problem? Or has anybody
>> experienced somehow similar problems? I could not find any bug
>> report or question related to that issue...
>>
>> And, of course, any help, pointers etc. are very much
>> appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers, Andre
>>

> gpg-agent should be started by X when it starts. you should have a
> file called:
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>
> look for it, and see if it exists, this file is part of the
> gnupg-agent package.

Yes, it exists and apt-file find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent tells
me the file is part of the gnupg-agent package as expected.
Strangely, the gpg-agent starts i a gnome 3 session without any
problems, and corresponding environment variables as GPG_AGENT_INFO
are set, not so in a KDE session. That is why I suspect that somehow
the start up procedure in KDE does not involve (correctly) the
gpg-agent..

> another thing, what is the default login screen? kdm or gdm?

I tried both and it failed in both.
Thanks for the help so far.. Are there any other places I could check ...?

- --
Andre

Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 16/12/11 19:26, Andre Massing wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 06:03 PM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
>> On 16/12/11 16:48, Andre Massing wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there!

<snip>

>>> Does anybody has any ideas or pointers where to start to
>>> investigate and to nail down that problem? Or has anybody
>>> experienced somehow similar problems? I could not find any bug
>>> report or question related to that issue...
>>>
>>> And, of course, any help, pointers etc. are very much
>>> appreciated!
>>>
>>> Cheers, Andre
>>>

>> gpg-agent should be started by X when it starts. you should have a
>> file called:
>
>> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>
>> look for it, and see if it exists, this file is part of the
>> gnupg-agent package.
>
> Yes, it exists and apt-file find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent tells
> me the file is part of the gnupg-agent package as expected.
> Strangely, the gpg-agent starts i a gnome 3 session without any
> problems, and corresponding environment variables as GPG_AGENT_INFO
> are set, not so in a KDE session. That is why I suspect that somehow
> the start up procedure in KDE does not involve (correctly) the
> gpg-agent..
>

>> another thing, what is the default login screen? kdm or gdm?
>

> I tried both and it failed in both.
> Thanks for the help so far.. Are there any other places I could check ...?

maybe its just an environment variable issue. is gpg-agent running?
check with:

ps -A | grep gpg-agent

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Andre Massing

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply!

[snip]

>>> gpg-agent should be started by X when it starts. you should
>>> have a file called:
>>
>>> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>>
>>> look for it, and see if it exists, this file is part of the
>>> gnupg-agent package.
>>
>> Yes, it exists and apt-file find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>> tells me the file is part of the gnupg-agent package as
>> expected. Strangely, the gpg-agent starts i a gnome 3 session
>> without any problems, and corresponding environment variables as
>> GPG_AGENT_INFO are set, not so in a KDE session. That is why I
>> suspect that somehow the start up procedure in KDE does not
>> involve (correctly) the gpg-agent..
>>

>>> another thing, what is the default login screen? kdm or gdm?
>>

>> I tried both and it failed in both. Thanks for the help so far..
>> Are there any other places I could check ...?
>>

> maybe its just an environment variable issue. is gpg-agent
> running? check with:
>
> ps -A | grep gpg-agent

I checked that and it turned out that the gpg-agent is not running
when I log into my KDE session.

I also did a pristine installation of kubuntu 11.10 on a VM,
installing all updates and thunderbird in combination with enigmail
and I get the same problem: no gpg-agent running. That is kind of
strange, I guess there quite some people out there using KDE/kubuntu +
Thunderbird and gpg... And in addition thunderbird did not even
recognize that enigmail is installed, manifesting in a missing openpgp
menu..
ATM I am rather clueless where to start, especially since it does not
seem to be a prominent problem according to my google searches.

But as always any hints and pointers are highly appreciated... And
probably I should file a bug report if I haven't overlooked something
rather obvious.

- --
Andre

Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 17/12/11 13:48, Andre Massing wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> [snip]

>>> Yes, it exists and apt-file find /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent
>>> tells me the file is part of the gnupg-agent package as
>>> expected. Strangely, the gpg-agent starts i a gnome 3 session
>>> without any problems, and corresponding environment variables as
>>> GPG_AGENT_INFO are set, not so in a KDE session. That is why I
>>> suspect that somehow the start up procedure in KDE does not
>>> involve (correctly) the gpg-agent..

>>> I tried both and it failed in both. Thanks for the help so far..
>>> Are there any other places I could check ...?
>>>

>> maybe its just an environment variable issue. is gpg-agent
>> running? check with:
>
>> ps -A | grep gpg-agent
>
> I checked that and it turned out that the gpg-agent is not running
> when I log into my KDE session.
>
> I also did a pristine installation of kubuntu 11.10 on a VM,
> installing all updates and thunderbird in combination with enigmail
> and I get the same problem: no gpg-agent running. That is kind of
> strange, I guess there quite some people out there using KDE/kubuntu +
> Thunderbird and gpg... And in addition thunderbird did not even
> recognize that enigmail is installed, manifesting in a missing openpgp
> menu..
> ATM I am rather clueless where to start, especially since it does not
> seem to be a prominent problem according to my google searches.
>
> But as always any hints and pointers are highly appreciated... And
> probably I should file a bug report if I haven't overlooked something
> rather obvious.

hmm... i did a fresh install of kubuntu 11.10 2 weeks ago, and things
worked fine. but maybe due to custom config files i copied from my home
system.
open ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf in a text editor, create it if doesnt exist.
make sure it has the line:

use-agent

alone on a line by itself. my file also has:

utf8-strings
keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net

and were added by GPGConf as some comments in the file indicate.
then open the file ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf

make sure it has some pinentry line, mine is:

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt4
nograb

hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 17/12/11 17:44, Waleed Hamra wrote:

> hmm... i did a fresh install of kubuntu 11.10 2 weeks ago, and things
> worked fine. but maybe due to custom config files i copied from my home
> system.
> open ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf in a text editor, create it if doesnt exist.
> make sure it has the line:
>
> use-agent
>
> alone on a line by itself. my file also has:
>
> utf8-strings
> keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net
>
> and were added by GPGConf as some comments in the file indicate.
> then open the file ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
>
> make sure it has some pinentry line, mine is:
>
> pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt4
> nograb
>
> hope this helps.

oh, and reboot after the changes, before testing