FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
"Bas G. Roufs "
 
Default Which distro best to use for a low spec, old iMac.?

Hello Everybody




At present, I am helping a friend to get his old iMac useful again. The hardware is still good, but low-spec. But the Apple software running on it is hopelessly obsolete - whenever trying to update it, a password is being asked for which has not been delivered to my friend, when he bought the machine. In the mean time, it has become clear who the original owner was and where she lives. He tries to get the password via her.


I have two main questions in this context:

Which distro whould you recommand me?
How best to install the distro on the specific machine?
With respect to the first question - I am considering the latest 11.10 version of three *Ubuntu distro's:

Ubuntu;
Xubuntu (xubuntu.org)
Lubuntu (lubuntu.org).
Ad 1. Which distro?

Which of either of the 3 distro's whould you recommend me, taking into account the specificatios summarised below?

Model - iMac

Processor - G4 (2.1.), 700 MHz, L2 cache 256KB per processor;

Internal SDRAM Memory: 640MB, PC133-333, divided into DIMM0, 512 MB and DIMM1, 128 MB.

HD: Maxtor, ATA4D040H2, 38,16 GB.

Bus: 100 MHZ.

Upstart-CD ROM drive: version 4.40 fi.

Modem: Dash 2, Apple version 2.6.3 with the software "InternalUSBModem.kext"(v.2.6.3.)



Ad 2. How best to install the distro to be chosen?

With respect to the 2nd question, how best to install the distro to be chosen, I am considering two options - after backing up all the data elsewhere:

simply over writing the whole HD
dual boot.
Over writing the whole HD?

Given the hopelessly obsolete state of the software running on it, I seriously consider that option - of course, after backing up all the data at some external HD. The new Linux distro would prolongue the life of the machine in my opinion.

Dual boot?

This could be an option in case my friend does manage to find the right password and to update the whole configuration. However, I am doubting whether this could deliver a workable, safe result. I have very little experience with Apple/ Mc.OS.



However it may be, I would appreciate your feedback and thoughts.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.


--

====

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

+31 30 785 20 40

+31 6 446 835 10

BasRoufs@gmail.com

OS: Linux Kubuntu 11.04, kubuntu.org

Websites in construction:

* rainbowgathering.eu

* basroufs.eu

* viaconsensus.nl


















--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default Which distro best to use for a low spec, old iMac.?

Bas G. Roufs wrote:
> Processor - G4 (2.1.), 700 MHz, L2 cache 256KB per processor;

This essentially limits you to a distro supporting of Power PC. Debian
would probably be your best bet, since it's pretty similar to Ubuntu in
many respects (especially underneath the GUI) and supports PPC.

Ubuntu used to support PPC, and someone was telling me a little while
ago that there's still an active community-driven port to it, but I've
heard very little about it since then. That said, I've not run a PPC
machine for at least a year.

> This could be an option in case my friend does manage to find the
> right password and to update the whole configuration. However, I am
> doubting whether this could deliver a workable, safe result. I have
> very little experience with Apple/ Mc.OS.

It's quite robust, so it should be fine with either a wipe-and-reinstall
or a dual-boot. I've never dual booted it, though.
It's also very easy to reinstall, if your friend has got the
installation CDs.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Yorvyk
 
Default Which distro best to use for a low spec, old iMac.?

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:10:31 +0100
"Bas G. Roufs " <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>

>
> I have two main questions in this context:
> Which distro whould you recommand me?
> How best to install the distro on the specific machine?
> With respect to the first question - I am considering the latest 11.10 version
> of three *Ubuntu distro's:
> Ubuntu;
> Xubuntu (xubuntu.org)
> Lubuntu (lubuntu.org).
> Ad 1. Which distro?
> Which of either of the 3 distro's whould you recommend me, taking into account
> the specificatios summarised below?
> Model - iMac
> Processor - G4 (2.1.), 700 MHz, L2 cache 256KB per processor;
> Internal SDRAM Memory: 640MB, PC133-333, divided into DIMM0, 512 MB and DIMM1,
> 128 MB.
> HD: Maxtor, ATA4D040H2, 38,16 GB.
> Bus: 100 MHZ.
> Upstart-CD ROM drive: version 4.40 fi.
> Modem: Dash 2, Apple version 2.6.3 with the software
> "InternalUSBModem.kext"(v.2.6.3.)
>
This may be easier said than done. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1770355 I don't know if this problem has been resolved though.
Having tried Ubuntu on a similar spec Intel based machine I'd say you are best with Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Unfortunatly I don't thnk either of these has a PPC ISO for 11.10. There is though a daily build for Lubuntu Precise here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/



--
Yorvyk

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Liam Proven
 
Default Which distro best to use for a low spec, old iMac.?

On 11 December 2011 16:10, Bas G. Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
>
> At present, I am helping a friend to get his old iMac useful again. The
> hardware is still good, but low-spec. But the Apple software running on it
> is hopelessly obsolete - whenever trying to update it, a password is being
> asked for which has not been delivered to my friend, when he bought the
> machine. In the mean time, it has become clear who the original owner was
> and where she lives. He tries to get the password via her.
>
> I have two main questions in this context:
>
> Which distro whould you recommand me?
> How best to install the distro on the specific machine?
>
> With respect to the first question - I am considering the latest 11.10
> version of three *Ubuntu distro's:
>
> Ubuntu;
> Xubuntu (xubuntu.org)
> Lubuntu (lubuntu.org).
>
> Ad 1. Which distro?
>
> Which of either of the 3 distro's whould you recommend me, taking into
> account the specificatios summarised below?
>
> Model - iMac
>
> Processor - G4 (2.1.), 700 MHz, L2 cache 256KB per processor;
>
> Internal SDRAM Memory: 640MB, PC133-333, divided into DIMM0, 512 MB and
> DIMM1, 128 MB.
>
> HD: Maxtor, ATA4D040H2, 38,16 GB.
>
> Bus: 100 MHZ.
>
> Upstart-CD ROM drive: version 4.40 fi.
>
> Modem: Dash 2, Apple version 2.6.3 with the software
> "InternalUSBModem.kext"(v.2.6.3.)
>
> Ad 2. How best to install the distro to be chosen?
>
> With respect to the 2nd question, how best to install the distro to be
> chosen, I am considering two options - after backing up all the data
> elsewhere:
>
> simply over writing the whole HD
> dual boot.
>
> Over writing the whole HD?
>
> Given the hopelessly obsolete state of the software running on it, I
> seriously consider that option - of course, after backing up all the data at
> some external HD. The new Linux distro would prolongue the life of the
> machine in my opinion.
>
> Dual boot?
>
> This could be an option in case my friend does manage to find the right
> password and to update the whole configuration. However, I am doubting
> whether this could deliver a workable, safe result. I have very little
> experience with Apple/ Mc.OS.
>
> However it may be, I would appreciate your feedback and thoughts.
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas Roufs.

That is an "anglepoise" iMac G4, right?

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/15in-imac-g4-700-800-mhz.html

I would suggest wiping & reinstalling Mac OS X. That machine will run
Tiger - 10.4 - well, which means it can run some quite modern browsers
such as TenFourFox (Firefox 8 for PowerPC Mac OS X) and Camino 2. It
can run Adium for instant messaging, Thunderbird or Apple's own Mail
programs for email among many others, LibreOffice for productivity and
many other Free or open source software (FOSS) packages.

If you can find a cheap old OS X DVD, then you could use that to
remove the password on the machine, but it's probably better to wipe
it and start over.

If you can borrow a newer Mac, you could install Mac OS X 10.5
"Leopard" using Firewire Target mode or LeopardAssist, but this is
more work. Tiger will do more and run better.


--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org