Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 AM
CJ Tres

Default Learning CLI: should I install Ubuntu Server?

On 12/11/2011 05:54 AM, LinuxIsOne wrote:

Hi,

This is just a simple thing to ask:-

For learning some basics of CLI in Linux, should I install Ubuntu LTS
Server edition? Since I heard everything here works with CLI, is it
true? Right now I am having Ubuntu LTS desktop 10.04.3...?

Thanks.

Here's a good place to start

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Lots of other documentation is also available where you can learn
everything you need.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Avi Greenbury

LinuxIsOne wrote:

> For learning some basics of CLI in Linux, should I install Ubuntu LTS
> Server edition? Since I heard everything here works with CLI, is it
> true? Right now I am having Ubuntu LTS desktop 10.04.3...?

The server edition starts out as little more than the desktop edition
without a desktop. The CLI available on the desktop version is
identical, so you can just fire up a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) in your
desktop and get going with the terminal there.

There's a fairly good introduction to the command line here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

And there's good documentation around for completing specific tasks on
the command line. It's perhaps worth remembering, too, that generally
the command line method of doing things on any Linux is broadly similar
to Ubuntu, and if you come across Debian instructions, those will
generally work in exactly the same way.

--
Avi

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
LinuxIsOne

No need if you just want to learn, the CLI in the desktop interface is

virtually the same as in the server. *Just open a terminal and pretend

that you have not got the GUI.

The server edition starts out as little more than the desktop edition

without a desktop. The CLI available on the desktop version is

identical, so you can just fire up a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) in your

desktop and get going with the terminal there.

There's a fairly good introduction to the command line here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

And there's good documentation around for completing specific tasks on

the command line. It's perhaps worth remembering, too, that generally

the command line method of doing things on any Linux is broadly similar

to Ubuntu, and if you come across Debian instructions, those will

generally work in exactly the same way.

*Well, ok, then, from this only if it is good since terminal is there.... I just try out Linux basics...

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
LinuxIsOne

*Lots of other documentation is also available where you can learn everything you need.
Yeah, thanks for the link. I check out.*

Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 PM
LinuxIsOne

Just open a terminal and pretend that you have not got the GUI.

Good idea.*

Old 12-11-2011, 02:28 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 06:51:14 -0600
CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 05:54 AM, LinuxIsOne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is just a simple thing to ask:-
> >
> > For learning some basics of CLI in Linux, should I install Ubuntu
> > LTS Server edition? Since I heard everything here works with CLI,
> > is it true? Right now I am having Ubuntu LTS desktop 10.04.3...?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Here's a good place to start
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
>
> Lots of other documentation is also available where you can learn
> everything you need.

...and here is a good place to see what is possible using only the CLI:
http://inx.maincontent.net/ (Live CD)

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:

...and here is a good place to see what is possible using only the CLI:

http://inx.maincontent.net/ *(Live CD)

I guess a more advanced thing...! Check thing here, but definitely is a good link...!