Old 12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
CJ Tres

Default compile error

I'm attempting to compile a plugin. The configure step exits without
errors but make (run as root) tells me "no targets specified and no make
file found"

Googling, I found the explanation for these errors:
`No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.'
`No targets. Stop.'
*The former means that you didn't provide any targets to be built on the
command line, and make couldn't find any makefiles to read in.* The
latter means that some makefile was found, but it didn't contain any
default target and none was given on the command line. *GNU make has
nothing to do in these situations. See section Arguments to Specify the
Makefile.*

The Arguments page says:
"The way to specify the name of the makefile is with the `-f' or
`--file' option (`--makefile' also works). For example, `-f altmake'
says to use the file `altmake' as the makefile.

If you use the `-f' flag several times and follow each `-f' with an
argument, all the specified files are used jointly as makefiles.

If you do not use the `-f' or `--file' flag, the default is to try
`GNUmakefile', `makefile', and `Makefile', in that order, and use the
first of these three which exists or can be made (see section Writing
Makefiles)."

The plugin's directory has Makefile.am and Makefile.in.

I've never needed to specify a makefile with any previous compiles but
specifying either of these listed gives other errors,

"No targets" and "missing separator", respectively.

At least one other person reported that the plugin compiled with no
problems.

All necessary libraries, build-essential and dev-tools are installed and
checking the README I also verified other files that are necessary are
also are all present.

Am I missing something obvious?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Avi Greenbury

CJ Tres wrote:

> I'm attempting to compile a plugin. The configure step exits without
> errors but make (run as root) tells me "no targets specified and no
> make file found"

What is the plugin, and what version? I'll have a fiddle with it, too,
if I can get the same thing

> Googling, I found the explanation for these errors:
> `No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.'
> `No targets. Stop.'

Did you run ./configure, or whatever the analogue is? Did it exit
happily?

--
Avi

Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 PM
CJ Tres

I'm attempting to compile a plugin. The configure step exits without
errors but make (run as root) tells me "no targets specified and no
make file found"

What is the plugin, and what version? I'll have a fiddle with it, too,
if I can get the same thing

Googling, I found the explanation for these errors:
`No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.'
`No targets. Stop.'

Did you run ./configure, or whatever the analogue is? Did it exit
happily?

Yup! ... exits' with no errors. No problem there.
It's the AAC/MP4 plugin for xmms.
Odds are if you used xmms in the past you've probably moved on like
everyone seems to suggest. Me, I'm stubborn and have found nothing else
that replaces it for me.

In any case, xmms needs to be installed in order to compile the plugin.

http://fondriest.frederic.free.fr/fichiers/xmms_mp4Plugin-0.4.tar.bz2