FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM
LinuxIsOne
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

Hi,

I heard that IPv6 should be disabled. Is it a myth or a fact? And I
guess by default it is enabled in Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. So how should I
disable it, if it is to be disabled?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

LinuxIsOne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I heard that IPv6 should be disabled. Is it a myth or a fact? And I
> guess by default it is enabled in Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. So how should I
> disable it, if it is to be disabled?
>

There's generally no compelling reason to either enable it or disable
it. You only need it enabled if you're using an IPv6 network, and the
only reason to disable it would be because of bugs it triggers.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 PM
LinuxIsOne
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> There's generally no compelling reason to either enable it or disable
> it. You only need it enabled if you're using an IPv6 network, and the
> only reason to disable it would be because of bugs it triggers.

Oh I see. I used to think as if the disabling of IPv6 is good for
better speed in Internet. But as you say, there is no need to disable
it. But how can I check if it enable or disable or what?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM
R Kimber
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:52:52 +0000
Avi Greenbury wrote:

> There's generally no compelling reason to either enable it or disable
> it. You only need it enabled if you're using an IPv6 network, and the
> only reason to disable it would be because of bugs it triggers.

It used to be said that Firefox was faster if you disabled IPv6 in
about:config. Is this relevant?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
"compdoc"
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

> There's generally no compelling reason to either enable it or disable
> it. You only need it enabled if you're using an IPv6 network, and the
> only reason to disable it would be because of bugs it triggers.

Eventually, we'll all need to go that way. Hopefully, firewall distros will
support it better before long.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Colin Law
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On 9 December 2011 14:59, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
>
>> There's generally no compelling reason to either enable it or disable
>> it. You only need it enabled if you're using an IPv6 network, and the
>> only reason to disable it would be because of bugs it triggers.
>
> Oh I see. I used to think as if the disabling of IPv6 is good for
> better speed in Internet. But as you say, there is no need to disable
> it. But how *can I check if it enable or disable or what?

If you click on the network indicator in the top panel and select Edit
Connections (or something similar, not sure exactly what it was in
10.04 which I think you are using) then select the connection, click
Edit and go the IPv6 settings tab.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
LinuxIsOne
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> If you click on the network indicator in the top panel and select Edit
> Connections (or something similar, not sure exactly what it was in
> 10.04 which I think you are using) then select the connection, click
> Edit and go the IPv6 settings tab.

And then to choose which option?

http://postimage.org/image/aupupgorj/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Colin Law
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On 9 December 2011 16:47, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you click on the network indicator in the top panel and select Edit
>> Connections (or something similar, not sure exactly what it was in
>> 10.04 which I think you are using) then select the connection, click
>> Edit and go the IPv6 settings tab.
>
> And then to choose which option?

How much googling did you do before asking? It took me 60 seconds to find this:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mexXsNouG4MC&pg=PA468&lpg=PA468&dq=ubuntu +ipv6+settings+ignore+automatic+manual&source=bl&o ts=5PlZuS4uHV&sig=2aRAFFoaffEu9ktADiDM2lLhCyk&hl=e n&ei=Mz3iTsmpB4GW8gPh8fjlAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct =result&resnum=7&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=fal se

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
LinuxIsOne
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
*
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mexXsNouG4MC&pg=PA468&lpg=PA468&dq=ubuntu +ipv6+settings+ignore+automatic+manual&source=bl&o ts=5PlZuS4uHV&sig=2aRAFFoaffEu9ktADiDM2lLhCyk&hl=e n&ei=Mz3iTsmpB4GW8gPh8fjlAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct =result&resnum=7&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=fal se


Well I do Google search but the above url gives:

http://postimage.org/image/568xxhywn/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Colin Law
 
Default IPv6: should be enabled or disable?

On 9 December 2011 18:28, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mexXsNouG4MC&pg=PA468&lpg=PA468&dq=ubuntu +ipv6+settings+ignore+automatic+manual&source=bl&o ts=5PlZuS4uHV&sig=2aRAFFoaffEu9ktADiDM2lLhCyk&hl=e n&ei=Mz3iTsmpB4GW8gPh8fjlAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct =result&resnum=7&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=fal se
>
>
> Well I do Google search but the above url gives:
>
> http://postimage.org/image/568xxhywn/

Interesting, I wonder why I can see it but you can't. Perhaps you
should buy the book referenced there. It looks pretty good.

But since google seems to not be on your side then 'ignore' will disable IPv6

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org