Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Colin Law

Default VirtualBox, problem mounting shared folder

I hope someone can help with mounting shared folders in VirtualBox
(4.1.2). I am using this for the first time, running a Precise
virtual machine in Ubuntu 11.10 host. I have installed the Guest
Additions which seem to be working ok except that I cannot get shared
folders to work.
In the guest os I added the user to group vboxsf.
In Devices > Shared Folders I added a share with path /home/colinl
(which is on the host) named it host_colinl, checked Auto mount and
Make Permanent.
I re-booted the guest.
I see that it has correctly created the folder /media/sf_host_colinl
but it shows as empty (even with sudo) and in nautilus it does not
show the mounted icon on the folder.
I removed the share from Devices > Shared Folders and added a new one
with a different path and share name downloads. This time I did not
select auto mount.
In a terminal in the guest I created /media/host_downloads then
sudo mount -t vboxsf downloads /media/host_downloads
and it says
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device.

dmesg shows nothing at that point, nor does syslog.

Google has not helped me. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Colin

Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
sdavmor

[...]

You might want to try the Virtualbox support list.

VBox-users-community mailing list
VBox-users-community@lists.sourceforge.net
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Colin Law

On 8 December 2011 18:27, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 08:40 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> I hope someone can help with mounting shared folders in VirtualBox
>> (4.1.2). *I am using this for the first time, running a Precise
>> virtual machine in Ubuntu 11.10 host. *I have installed the Guest
>> Additions which seem to be working ok except that I cannot get shared
>> folders to work.
>> In the guest os I added the user to group vboxsf.
>> In Devices> *Shared Folders I added a share with path /home/colinl
>> (which is on the host) named it host_colinl, checked Auto mount and
>> Make Permanent.
>> I re-booted the guest.
>> I see that it has correctly created the folder /media/sf_host_colinl
>> but it shows as empty (even with sudo) and in nautilus it does not
>> show the mounted icon on the folder.
>> I removed the share from Devices> *Shared Folders and added a new one
>> with a different path and share name downloads. *This time I did not
>> select auto mount.
>> In a terminal in the guest I created /media/host_downloads then
>> sudo mount -t vboxsf downloads /media/host_downloads
>> and it says
>> /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device.
>>
>> dmesg shows nothing at that point, nor does syslog.
>>
>> Google has not helped me. *Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>
>> Colin
>

> You might want to try the Virtualbox support list.

Yes I might, and indeed will, if no-one here can help. I know many
here use VirtualBox and if it is a Ubuntu specific (or even 12.04
specific) problem then others may have come across the issue.

Thanks

Colin

Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2011 08:40 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> I hope someone can help with mounting shared folders in VirtualBox
> (4.1.2). I am using this for the first time, running a Precise
> virtual machine in Ubuntu 11.10 host. I have installed the Guest
> Additions which seem to be working ok except that I cannot get shared
> folders to work.
> In the guest os I added the user to group vboxsf.
> In Devices > Shared Folders I added a share with path /home/colinl

Is this entire folder shared? That looks to me to be a home directory.
<http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders>

> (which is on the host) named it host_colinl, checked Auto mount and
> Make Permanent.
> I re-booted the guest.
> I see that it has correctly created the folder /media/sf_host_colinl
> but it shows as empty (even with sudo) and in nautilus it does not
> show the mounted icon on the folder.

I tested a shared folder on a Win7 host / 11.10 guest. The folder does
get mounted in /media (/media/sf_tempdir). I selected 'Read-Only' and
'Auto-Mount'. The problem is that the folder is owned by Root so I need
to use 'gksu nautilus' to browse it. And use 'sudo' with 'ls':

$ sudo ls -al /media/sf_<foldername>

Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Colin Law

On 8 December 2011 21:37, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 08:40 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> I hope someone can help with mounting shared folders in VirtualBox
>> (4.1.2). *I am using this for the first time, running a Precise
>> virtual machine in Ubuntu 11.10 host. *I have installed the Guest
>> Additions which seem to be working ok except that I cannot get shared
>> folders to work.
>> In the guest os I added the user to group vboxsf.
>> In Devices > Shared Folders I added a share with path /home/colinl
>
> Is this entire folder shared? That looks to me to be a home directory.

Yes it is a home folder, would that be a problem? I will try again
with a subfolder just in case.

> <http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders>

Those are the instructions I was following

>> (which is on the host) named it host_colinl, checked Auto mount and
>> Make Permanent.
>> I re-booted the guest.
>> I see that it has correctly created the folder /media/sf_host_colinl
>> but it shows as empty (even with sudo) and in nautilus it does not
>> show the mounted icon on the folder.
>
> I tested a shared folder on a Win7 host / 11.10 guest. The folder does
> get mounted in /media (/media/sf_tempdir). I selected 'Read-Only' and
> 'Auto-Mount'. The problem is that the folder is owned by Root so I need
> to use 'gksu nautilus' to browse it. And use 'sudo' with 'ls':
>
> $ sudo ls -al /media/sf_<foldername>

I will try again with a subfolder. I did try sudo and it did not show anything.

Colin

>> I removed the share from Devices > Shared Folders and added a new one
>> with a different path and share name downloads. *This time I did not
>> select auto mount.
>> In a terminal in the guest I created /media/host_downloads then
>> sudo mount -t vboxsf downloads /media/host_downloads
>> and it says
>> /sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device.
>>
>> dmesg shows nothing at that point, nor does syslog.
>>
>> Google has not helped me. *Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>
>> Colin

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2011 01:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 21:37, NoOp ...
>> Is this entire folder shared? That looks to me to be a home directory.
>
> Yes it is a home folder, would that be a problem?

Yes, if the entire home folder is not shared.

> I will try again
> with a subfolder just in case.

Good idea.

>> <http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders>
>
> Those are the instructions I was following
>

>>> (which is on the host) named it host_colinl, checked Auto mount and
>>> Make Permanent.
>>> I re-booted the guest.
>>> I see that it has correctly created the folder /media/sf_host_colinl
>>> but it shows as empty (even with sudo) and in nautilus it does not
>>> show the mounted icon on the folder.
>>
>> I tested a shared folder on a Win7 host / 11.10 guest. The folder does
>> get mounted in /media (/media/sf_tempdir). I selected 'Read-Only' and
>> 'Auto-Mount'. The problem is that the folder is owned by Root so I need
>> to use 'gksu nautilus' to browse it. And use 'sudo' with 'ls':
>>
>> $ sudo ls -al /media/sf_<foldername>

Added myself the vboxsf group, did some updates & needed to reboot to
complete the updates. Shared folder is now full browsable via standard
nautilus.

BTW: In 11.10, to add the old 'Users & Groups' gui, just install:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

and you're back in business. No need to use the cli to add/delete from
groups.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Colin Law

On 8 December 2011 23:36, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 01:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 8 December 2011 21:37, NoOp ...
>>> Is this entire folder shared? That looks to me to be a home directory.
>>
>> Yes it is a home folder, would that be a problem?
>
> Yes, if the entire home folder is not shared.

Can you explain what you mean by that? Sharing it is what I am trying to do.

Colin

Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
NoOp

On 12/09/2011 01:04 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 23:36, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 12/08/2011 01:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>> On 8 December 2011 21:37, NoOp ...
>>>
>>> Yes it is a home folder, would that be a problem?
>>
>> Yes, if the entire home folder is not shared.
>
> Can you explain what you mean by that? Sharing it is what I am trying to do.
No. Because I was wrong. I just set the home folder for sharing in a
Linux Mint 12 (MATE) that I'm testing & the entire home folder
(including subdirectories) is available. Sorry for the incorrect info.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Colin Law

On 9 December 2011 20:12, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 01:04 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Yes, if the entire home folder is not shared.
>>
>> Can you explain what you mean by that? *Sharing it is what I am trying to do.
> No. Because I was wrong. I just set the home folder for sharing in a
> Linux Mint 12 (MATE) that I'm testing & the entire home folder
> (including subdirectories) is available. Sorry for the incorrect info.

OK, I have just tried a subfolder and still cannot get it to work. I
will have to try the virtualbox list as
sdavmor suggested. I will post back if I get anywhere.

Thanks for your efforts.

Colin

Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Graham Watkins

Is this entire folder shared? That looks to me to be a home directory.

Yes it is a home folder, would that be a problem?

Yes, if the entire home folder is not shared.

Can you explain what you mean by that? Sharing it is what I am trying to do.

No. Because I was wrong. I just set the home folder for sharing in a
Linux Mint 12 (MATE) that I'm testing& the entire home folder
(including subdirectories) is available. Sorry for the incorrect info.

OK, I have just tried a subfolder and still cannot get it to work. I
will have to try the virtualbox list as
sdavmor suggested. I will post back if I get anywhere.

Thanks for your efforts.

Colin

Could it be a permissions issue?

I mount my host home folder with the following command:

sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 graham host

"graham" is my host entire home folder and "host" is my share mount
point folder in my guest home.

Hope this helps.

Graham