-   -   how to test samba configuration (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/607908-how-test-samba-configuration.html)

Abhishek Dixit 12-08-2011 12:26 PM

how to test samba configuration

I have two computers in 2 different rooms which are physically at
large distance but are on same lan.I am the only guy who has access to
both of these.
I created some samba shares on the server where I am right now
sitting physically.I do not want to walk and go to the other place
where the client machine is.
Can some how I be able to test if the client is able to get the samba
share which I shared?
What can be a good way for the same?

--
Regards
Abhi

Colin Law 12-08-2011 12:36 PM

On 8 December 2011 13:26, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two computers in 2 different rooms which are physically at
> large distance but are on same lan.I am the only guy who has access to
> both of these.
> I created some samba shares on the server where *I am right now
> sitting physically.I do not want to walk and go to the other place
> where the client machine is.
> Can some how I be able to test if the client is able to get the samba
> share which I shared?
> What can be a good way for the same?

You could use desktop sharing to gain access the second machine's
desktop from yours.
Alternatively you can use ssh to get a command line interface and test
it that way.

Colin

Abhishek Dixit 12-08-2011 12:39 PM

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 13:26, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have two computers in 2 different rooms which are physically at
>> large distance but are on same lan.I am the only guy who has access to
>> both of these.
>> I created some samba shares on the server where *I am right now
>> sitting physically.I do not want to walk and go to the other place
>> where the client machine is.
>> Can some how I be able to test if the client is able to get the samba
>> share which I shared?
>> What can be a good way for the same?
>
> You could use desktop sharing to gain access the second machine's
> desktop from yours.
> Alternatively you can use ssh to get a command line interface and test
> it that way.

What exactly is the command on command line to test from the client I
logged in via ssh.

Colin Law 12-08-2011 12:53 PM

On 8 December 2011 13:39, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 8 December 2011 13:26, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have two computers in 2 different rooms which are physically at
>>> large distance but are on same lan.I am the only guy who has access to
>>> both of these.
>>> I created some samba shares on the server where *I am right now
>>> sitting physically.I do not want to walk and go to the other place
>>> where the client machine is.
>>> Can some how I be able to test if the client is able to get the samba
>>> share which I shared?
>>> What can be a good way for the same?
>>
>> You could use desktop sharing to gain access the second machine's
>> desktop from yours.
>> Alternatively you can use ssh to get a command line interface and test
>> it that way.
>>
> What exactly is the command on command line to test from the client I
> logged in via ssh.

You need to try to mount the share, not sure of the exact syntax.
Have a look at the docs for the mount command, or a quick bit of
googling will probably find it.
Google for
mount samba share command line
produced a number of good looking links including:
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_smbfs_Shares_Permanently.html

You might need both samba and smbfs installed. I can never remember
which you need at each end so generally install both at both ends.

Colin

Craig White 12-09-2011 02:25 AM

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 18:56 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> I have two computers in 2 different rooms which are physically at
> large distance but are on same lan.I am the only guy who has access to
> both of these.
> I created some samba shares on the server where I am right now
> sitting physically.I do not want to walk and go to the other place
> where the client machine is.
> Can some how I be able to test if the client is able to get the samba
> share which I shared?
> What can be a good way for the same?
----
smbclient -L localhost -U USERNAME