Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 PM
"David C. Curtis"

Default Configuring Quick Synergy to start automatically

On 11-12-07 06:26 AM, CJ Tres wrote:

I've found an explanation of edits at
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/autostart.html that need to be made to
scripts in the Default files in three directories, gdm/Init,
gdm/PostLogin - the third edit is supposed to be made in gdm/Sessions/
but my /gdm has no Sessions folder, only PostSession and PreSession. I'm
using Natty.

Would the edit then be made in the Deafult script of the PreSession
directory, or is there a Sessions dir that has maybe been moved
somewhere else?... or maybe Sessions now is named differently?

My guess would be that Init is where you start synergy for the greeter,
PostLogin is where you shutdown synergy when the greeter goes away (or
whatever gdm does), PreSession is where you restart synergy for the new
Xsession and PostSession is where you would shutdown synergy for
logout/shutdown.

It's been along time since I used it, but IIRC starting synergy for use
with the greeter doesn't carry over to the Xsession. You need to
shutdown synergy postlogin and restart it for the Xsession.

The instructions are not Ubuntu specific, only for Unix but it covers
xdm/kdm and gdm.
Also it is not clear when the guide was written so I've no idea what
might be different in Ubuntu today.

Any help?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:30 AM
CJ Tres

scripts in the Default files in three directories, gdm/Init,
gdm/PostLogin - the third edit is supposed to be made in gdm/Sessions/
but my /gdm has no Sessions folder, only PostSession and PreSession. I'm
using Natty.

Would the edit then be made in the Deafult script of the PreSession
directory, or is there a Sessions dir that has maybe been moved
somewhere else?... or maybe Sessions now is named differently?

The instructions are not Ubuntu specific, only for Unix but it covers
xdm/kdm and gdm.
Also it is not clear when the guide was written so I've no idea what
might be different in Ubuntu today.

Any help?

I've never bothered with QuickSynergy, just Synergy itself. On the host
machine, I created ~/.synergy.conf, and added /usr/bin/synergys into
Startup Applications.
For the clients, I just add /usr/bin/synergyc host's-hostname to it's
Startup Applications.

I have very little experience in this area so I'm unsure about one thing.
Does simply putting sybergyc and synergys into each machine's Startup
Apps allow the client to connect so another mouse/keyboard isn't necessary?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM
CJ Tres

My guess would be that Init is where you start synergy for the greeter,
PostLogin is where you shutdown synergy when the greeter goes away (or
whatever gdm does), PreSession is where you restart synergy for the new
Xsession and PostSession is where you would shutdown synergy for
logout/shutdown.

It's been along time since I used it, but IIRC starting synergy for use
with the greeter doesn't carry over to the Xsession. You need to
shutdown synergy postlogin and restart it for the Xsession.

Ok... I think I've got it.
Thanks.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

[...]

They way I've done it, the control doesn't start until I've logged in
to each machine; so a keyboard is needed for that. Not really an issue
for me I have the space to keep the K/M around for each box.
On the Ubuntu host, I don't want it running at system boot; just once I
login.
For the Mac, I haven't gotten around to finding where to put the
command, so it's not active at the login screen... yet.
For the Ubuntu client, I haven't bothered to make it start at system
boot, since it's a laptop right here. But I am curious, so if you find
something, let us know & I'll test.
For WinXP & the GUI client, it can easily be set to start & work for
login; but it doesn't seem to work for Windows 7 until I log in.
Probably something to do with UAC.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818