-   -   how to transfer files between 2 linux computers (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/607452-how-transfer-files-between-2-linux-computers.html)

Linda 12-07-2011 11:38 AM

how to transfer files between 2 linux computers

On 12/07/2011 05:24 AM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:

I want to know for computers at my home I want to transfer files
between them.I have used sftp,ssh on my office machines but here at my
home I do not want to do an ssh for a movie file which is 4.2 Gb in
size.Is it possible some how to do so without doing an ssh to the
server? I may not be aware of the name of some thing which can do this
so please let me know.

You could set up NFS

Frank 12-07-2011 12:42 PM

how to transfer files between 2 linux computers

Why not use SSHFS ?

http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/shh-openssh-secrets-here/

sshfs is perfect for anyone with multiple computers; using it is quicker
and easier than setting up Samba or NFS, and your network transmissions
are encrypted like any SSH session.

Once again let’s say you’re using a laptop and your files are on a
desktop machine. First create a mountpoint on the laptop. I call mine
sshfs:

carla@laptop:~$ mkdir sshfs

Then mount a remote directory like this:

carla@laptop:~$ sshfs carla@desktop:/home/carla/stuff sshfs/

You’ll need to enter your remote password (unless you’ve set up public
key authentication), and then poof! Your remote files are now as good as
local. You can do your work with local applications, and your data files
are all in one place on your master PC. When you’re finished, unmount
the remote directory with fusermount -u sshfs, replacing sshfs with your
own mountpoint.

David Fletcher 12-07-2011 02:37 PM

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 14:42 +0100, Frank wrote:
> Why not use SSHFS ?

I found that you can add the command to "Startup Applications" but it
only worked for me with machines with static addresses. Don't know why,
but I generally have static addresses here anyway.

Dave

Abhishek Dixit 12-07-2011 03:49 PM

how to transfer files between 2 linux computers

> Why not use SSHFS ?
>

> http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/shh-openssh-secrets-here/
>

> sshfs is perfect for anyone with multiple computers; using it is quicker
> and easier than setting up Samba or NFS, and your network transmissions
> are encrypted like any SSH session.
>
> Once again let’s say you’re using a laptop and your files are on a
> desktop machine. First create a mountpoint on the laptop. I call mine
> sshfs:
>
> carla@laptop:~$ mkdir sshfs
>
> Then mount a remote directory like this:
>
> carla@laptop:~$ sshfs carla@desktop:/home/carla/stuff sshfs/

transfer of files in a trusted network such as home and if connection
is encrypted then it takes much more time because due to encryption
network latency increases so file transfer becomes slow.So I do not
want to use this method.
I have 2 laptops at home and some times watch movies or files from one
to other laptop at such times doing an ftp etc becomes irritating.
How ever in windows if I do I can simply drag and drop which is what I want.

Abhishek Dixit 12-07-2011 03:49 PM

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 7 December 2011 11:24, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to know for computers at my home I want to transfer files
>> between them.I have used sftp,ssh on my office machines but here at my
>> home I do not want to do an ssh for a movie file which is 4.2 Gb in
>> size.Is it possible some how to do so without doing an ssh to the
>> server? I may not be aware of the name of some thing which can do this
>> so please let me know.
>
> rsync is probably the way to go. *Alternatively setup file sharing
> using samba and then you can just drag and drop between the shared
> directories in nautilus.
>
> Colin

Thanks for your suggestion.I did try out samba how ever the client
machine is not able to mount the shares from the samba server.
The directory on samba server which I want to share is
/media/New Volume
Following is smb.conf on samba server

[hell]
comment = Winows files
read only = yes
locking = no
browseable = yes
path = /media/New Volume
guest ok = yes

the permissions of directory
ls -l /media/
drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume

Even after trying to change permissions
sudo chmod 755 /media
the permissions do not change.

the testparm command seems to run safe

testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[hell]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
^C

the /media/New Volume is a directory which is having NTFS partition,
there is no corresponding fstab entry for the same.

What more do I need to check?

"A. Jorge Garcia" 12-07-2011 04:35 PM

[...]

<<

Sorry, I never used sshfs before. I usually just use ssh from a
terminal or connect to server from the desktop.

I tried what you said:
(1) I created a mount point at:
/home/shadowfax/sshfs

(2) then I ran:
sshfs guardian@10.5.254.247:/home/guardian /home/shadowfax/sshfs

(3) it asked for the remote passwd and I gave it

(4) I got this error:
fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

What did I do wrong?

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

David Fletcher 12-07-2011 06:09 PM

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 12:35 -0500, A. Jorge Garcia wrote:

> (2) then I ran:
> sshfs guardian@10.5.254.247:/home/guardian /home/shadowfax/sshfs
>
> (3) it asked for the remote passwd and I gave it
>
> (4) I got this error:
> fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
>
> What did I do wrong?

I've got trailing forward slash characters on the end of both directory
paths in my commands. Could that be it?

Dave

Jonesy 12-07-2011 07:54 PM

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 22:19:03 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:

>> Why not use SSHFS ?
>>

>> http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/shh-openssh-secrets-here/
>>

>> sshfs is perfect for anyone with multiple computers; using it is quicker
>> and easier than setting up Samba or NFS, and your network transmissions
>> are encrypted like any SSH session.
>>
>> Once again let?s say you?re using a laptop and your files are on a
>> desktop machine. First create a mountpoint on the laptop. I call mine
>> sshfs:
>>
>> carla@laptop:~$ mkdir sshfs
>>
>> Then mount a remote directory like this:
>>
>> carla@laptop:~$ sshfs carla@desktop:/home/carla/stuff sshfs/
>>
> transfer of files in a trusted network such as home and if connection
> is encrypted then it takes much more time because due to encryption
> network latency increases so file transfer becomes slow.So I do not
> want to use this method.
> I have 2 laptops at home and some times watch movies or files from one
> to other laptop at such times doing an ftp etc becomes irritating.
> How ever in windows if I do I can simply drag and drop which is what I want.

Using split screen in konqueror: fish:// to the remote directory in one
screen, and navigate to the local dir/ in the other screen.
Drag'n-drop -- and much more.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Avi Greenbury 12-07-2011 08:13 PM

Jonesy wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 22:19:03 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Why not use SSHFS ?
[...]
> > transfer of files in a trusted network such as home and if
> > connection is encrypted then it takes much more time because due to
> > encryption network latency increases so file transfer becomes
> > slow.So I do not want to use this method.
> > I have 2 laptops at home and some times watch movies or files from
> > one to other laptop at such times doing an ftp etc becomes
> > irritating. How ever in windows if I do I can simply drag and drop
> > which is what I want.
>
> Using split screen in konqueror: fish:// to the remote directory in
> one screen, and navigate to the local dir/ in the other screen.
> Drag'n-drop -- and much more.

Fish is simply a wrapper round ssh, though, so it's still subject to
the latency properties.

Otherwise, rsh ( ssh without the encryption), rsync or nfs come to
mind, I'd guess (with no data) that's in decreasing order of speed.

Or netcat?

--
Avi

David Fletcher 12-07-2011 08:22 PM

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 19:09 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 12:35 -0500, A. Jorge Garcia wrote:
>
> > (2) then I ran:
> > sshfs guardian@10.5.254.247:/home/guardian /home/shadowfax/sshfs
> >
> > (3) it asked for the remote passwd and I gave it
> >
> > (4) I got this error:
> > fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
> >
> > What did I do wrong?
>
> I've got trailing forward slash characters on the end of both directory
> paths in my commands. Could that be it?
>
> Dave

Got the message Jorge that that didn't work.

I'm dredging the dark recesses of my mind and thinking, when I first
started playing around with this, did I have problems relating to the
UID (the number that identifies the user, not the user name) getting
passed over the network from one machine to the other and used instead
of the name?

Does anybody else who might be more experienced/knowledgeable than me
want to jump in on this with info?

Jorge, can you try making a test account on each machine with identical
user names and UID numbers and see if that works? I know something like
this was not working as I expected at some time, it was a PITA, not at
all what I would have expected of Linux, and I never found a
satisfactory solution to it.

Dave