Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Avi Greenbury

Default how to transfer files between 2 linux computers

Ric Moore wrote:

> Change permissions to the directory and contents from within Windows?

Linux doesn't understand Windows permissions. The problem isn't that
the NTFS permissions are too restrictive, but that they're ignored and
instead Linux defaults to the more secure.

--
Avi

Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 09/12/11 06:34, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> On 12/08/2011 08:49 AM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:

>>> Yes this is formatted as Windows File Systems...so what can be a
>>> solution for the above situation?
>>>
>> Change permissions to the directory and contents from within Windows? Ric
>

> If you re trying to access (write/execute) Windows files from a Linux distro
> then in fstab set 'fmask=0111' and 'dmask=0000' for those Window's
> partitions.

Well I do not have any fstab entry.So windows partition does not gets
automatically mounted.
It is that when ever in my nautilus window I click on the icon the
directory gets mounted automatically.
I manually do not have to do any thing.
So I am not sure if making changes in fstab will work.How ever I found
an interesting discussion here
http://askubuntu.com/questions/86063/how-to-change-permissions-of-a-mounted-window-share
which says

" permissions for a windows share are determined at mount time, and
cannot changed at run time."
I am not sure as how this happens.