Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Tab Gilbert

Default how to transfer files between 2 linux computers

Would Giver work?* Here is the blurb from Ubuntu Software Center.

Other people running Giver on your network are automatically discovered and you can send files to them by simply dragging the file to their photo or icon shown in Giver.

It is a cool little program.

tab

Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2011 08:49 AM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 December 2011 11:24, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I want to know for computers at my home I want to transfer files
>>> between them.I have used sftp,ssh on my office machines but here at my
>>> home I do not want to do an ssh for a movie file which is 4.2 Gb in
>>> size.Is it possible some how to do so without doing an ssh to the
>>> server? I may not be aware of the name of some thing which can do this
>>> so please let me know.
>>
>> rsync is probably the way to go. Alternatively setup file sharing
>> using samba and then you can just drag and drop between the shared
>> directories in nautilus.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> Thanks for your suggestion.I did try out samba how ever the client
> machine is not able to mount the shares from the samba server.
> The directory on samba server which I want to share is
> /media/New Volume
> Following is smb.conf on samba server
>
> [hell]
> comment = Winows files
> read only = yes
> locking = no
> browseable = yes
> path = /media/New Volume
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Note the backslash in 'New Volume' - the path is incorrect.

To make life easier; in Nautilus right-click the share directory and
select 'Share'. Now rename ('Share name:') to newvolume. Note this will
not change the name on /media, that name will be the same. For example:
I just mounted an ntfs directory and it mounts in /media as:
/media/0E78154A781531C7
However I've set the share name (as above) to '21gb'. That '21gb' is
what is shown on the two other systems that have mounted the share via
samba.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:26:19 -0600
Tab Gilbert <tabbox@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would Giver work? Here is the blurb from Ubuntu Software Center.
>
> Other people running Giver on your network are automatically
> discovered and you can send files to them by simply dragging the file
> to their photo or icon shown in Giver.
>
> It is a cool little program.
>
> tab

...although some people won't like the mono requirements.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Abhishek Dixit

I Can easily access via nautilus gui the windows share

It automatically gets mounted at /media

deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
total 16
drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
deel@ubuntu:/media$ sudo chmod 755 New Volume/
deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
total 16
drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume

If you notice in above even after changing permissions the permissions
have not changed.
What could be the reason and how can I change the permissions?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Mark Widdicombe

*I Can easily access via nautilus gui the windows share

It automatically gets mounted at /media

deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l

total 16

drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume

deel@ubuntu:/media$ sudo chmod 755 New Volume/

deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l

total 16

drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume

If you notice in above even after changing permissions the permissions

have not changed.

What could be the reason and how can I change the permissions?

If the file system is formatted as NTFS or FAT (i.e. Windows filesystems) you can't change the permissions because Windows file systems don't use Linux/UNIX permissions.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mark Widdicombe
<markwiddicombe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 December 2011 07:19, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> *I Can easily access via nautilus gui the windows share
>>

>> It automatically gets mounted at /media
>>

>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
>> total 16
>> drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ sudo chmod 755 New Volume/
>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
>> total 16
>> drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
>>

>> If you notice in above even after changing permissions the permissions
>> have not changed.
>> What could be the reason and how can I change the permissions?
>>
> If the file system is formatted as NTFS or FAT (i.e. Windows filesystems)
> you can't change the permissions because Windows file systems don't use
> Linux/UNIX permissions.

Yes this is formatted as Windows File Systems...so what can be a
solution for the above situation?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Colin Law

On 8 December 2011 13:49, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mark Widdicombe
> <markwiddicombe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 8 December 2011 07:19, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> *I Can easily access via nautilus gui the windows share
>>>

>>> It automatically gets mounted at /media
>>>

>>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
>>> total 16
>>> drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
>>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ sudo chmod 755 New Volume/
>>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
>>> total 16
>>> drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
>>>

>>> If you notice in above even after changing permissions the permissions
>>> have not changed.
>>> What could be the reason and how can I change the permissions?
>>>
>> If the file system is formatted as NTFS or FAT (i.e. Windows filesystems)
>> you can't change the permissions because Windows file systems don't use
>> Linux/UNIX permissions.
>>
> Yes this is formatted as Windows File Systems...so what can be a
> solution for the above situation?

Have a look at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
it describes how to give multiple users access.

Colin

Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM
"Maxime Alarie"

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Mark Widdicombe
> <markwiddicombe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 8 December 2011 07:19, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> *I Can easily access via nautilus gui the windows share
>>>

>>> It automatically gets mounted at /media
>>>

>>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ ls -l
>>> total 16
>>> drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
>>> deel@ubuntu:/media$ sudo chmod 755 New Volume/ deel@ubuntu:/media$
>>> ls -l total 16
>>> drwx------ 1 deel deel 16384 2011-11-16 10:33 New Volume
>>>

>>> If you notice in above even after changing permissions the
>>> permissions have not changed.
>>> What could be the reason and how can I change the permissions?
>>>
>> If the file system is formatted as NTFS or FAT (i.e. Windows
>> filesystems) you can't change the permissions because Windows file
>> systems don't use Linux/UNIX permissions.
>>
> Yes this is formatted as Windows File Systems...so what can be a
> solution for the above situation?

Have a look at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
it describes how to give multiple users access.

Colin

-----------

Use rsync -alvzn $SOURCE $DESTINATION

-a = archive
-z = compress
-l = follow symlinks
-v = verbose
-n = dry run (Will only test the command, remove this option to actually run the command)

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Ric Moore

On 12/08/2011 08:49 AM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:

[...]

Change permissions to the directory and contents from within Windows? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Basil Chupin

On 09/12/11 06:34, Ric Moore wrote:

[...]

If you re trying to access (write/execute) Windows files from a Linux
distro then in fstab set 'fmask=0111' and 'dmask=0000' for those
Window's partitions.

BC

--
Diapers and politicians should be changed often; both for the same reason.