Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Craig White

Default Open Office and / or Libre Office

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 03:28 -0500, LinuxIsOne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ubuntu LTS offers Open office by default but not Libre Office.
> However, I am new, but should I also install Libre office? Or just
> Open Office is able to do which what you can expect out of Libre
> Office or there is some change in the usage of the two? One who has
> experiences on both could tell better.
----
mostly the same - libreoffice was forked from openoffice after the evil
empire known as Oracle bought Sun and people feared the worst. Though
the code base has diverged some since and Oracle has turned openoffice
over to the Apache foundation, there's really little difference at this
point and the best idea is to use whatever is packaged by your version
of Ubuntu unless you really, really need a newer version.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> mostly the same - libreoffice was forked from openoffice after the evil
> empire known as Oracle bought Sun and people feared the worst. Though
> the code base has diverged some since and Oracle has turned openoffice
> over to the Apache foundation, there's really little difference at this
> point and the best idea is to use whatever is packaged by your version
> of Ubuntu unless you really, really need a newer version.

Oh I see. Then I think Open Office is sufficient and okay.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/7 LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
>> mostly the same - libreoffice was forked from openoffice after the evil
>> empire known as Oracle bought Sun and people feared the worst. Though
>> the code base has diverged some since and Oracle has turned openoffice
>> over to the Apache foundation, there's really little difference at this
>> point and the best idea is to use whatever is packaged by your version
>> of Ubuntu unless you really, really need a newer version.
>
> Oh I see. Then I think Open Office is sufficient and okay.

Traditionally (as far as I have seen), Ubuntu's versions of
OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice has been very buggy so far, though. I
usually uninstall the crap and install the vanilla version, but if you
have no problems I guess that would not be necessary…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Jeffrey Gray

I too have had buggy issues with openoffice.org and libreoffice. I
never thought to uninstall the default install and reinstall from the
originals. I just finally said to hell with it and installed XP in
virtualbox and run M$ Office out of there.

-Jeff Gray

Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Traditionally (as far as I have seen), Ubuntu's versions of
> OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice has been very buggy so far, though. I
> usually uninstall the crap and install the vanilla version, but if you
> have no problems I guess that would not be necessary…

But I have only used in like creating docs, exporting pdf, printing,
sending as attachments, presentations and in these no issues. But
while exporting to pdf, I got an issue like the auto creation of
lines, as I already said...but still I am trying to manage it.....and
if finally this is not eradicated, I would install and check Libre
office too and use with that also...

Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Bill Stanley

> I too have had buggy issues with openoffice.org and libreoffice. I
> never thought to uninstall the default install and reinstall from the
> originals. I just finally said to hell with it and installed XP in
> virtualbox and run M$ Office out of there.

Horrors!!! You heathen.

( Just joking. )

< snip >

Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Liam Proven

On 7 December 2011 16:49, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>> I too have had buggy issues with openoffice.org and libreoffice. *I
>> never thought to uninstall the default install and reinstall from the
>> originals. *I just finally said to hell with it and installed XP in
>> virtualbox and run M$ Office out of there.
>
> Horrors!!! *You heathen.
>
> ( Just joking. )

[*Grin*]

I run Word 95 inside TinyXP inside VirtualBox myself - but these days,
Word 97 works so well under ordinary WINE that I never use the
VirtualBox version any more.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/7 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
> On 7 December 2011 16:49, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>>> I too have had buggy issues with openoffice.org and libreoffice. *I
>>> never thought to uninstall the default install and reinstall from the
>>> originals. *I just finally said to hell with it and installed XP in
>>> virtualbox and run M$ Office out of there.
>>
>> Horrors!!! *You heathen.
>>
>> ( Just joking. )
>
> [*Grin*]
>
> I run Word 95 inside TinyXP inside VirtualBox myself - but these days,
> Word 97 works so well under ordinary WINE that I never use the
> VirtualBox version any more.

That's interesting, because I never managed to run Office '97 well in
Windows 98 many years ago…

Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Liam Proven

On 7 December 2011 17:40, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Horrors!!! *You heathen.
>>>
>>> ( Just joking. )
>>
>> [*Grin*]
>>
>> I run Word 95 inside TinyXP inside VirtualBox myself - but these days,
>> Word 97 works so well under ordinary WINE that I never use the
>> VirtualBox version any more.
>
> That's interesting, because I never managed to run Office '97 well in
> Windows 98 many years ago…

On PC Pro mag, we used to refer to Win98 as "GameOS." That was all it
was good for. If you wanted to do work, you should have been running
NT4. ;¬)

Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
"compdoc"

> On PC Pro mag, we used to refer to Win98 as "GameOS."
>That was all it was good for. If you wanted to do work, you
>should have been running NT4. ;)

Win98 ran pretty well - I used it for about 10 years before upgrading it to
XP.