Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default any reason 11.10 wouldn't see the first of 2 hard drives during install?

i'm teaching an embedded linux class this week and one of my
students came up to me during a break to ask a ubuntu question. seems
he has an ASUS desktop at home and, when he goes to install 11.10, the
installation never sees the first of his two hard drives.

as he describes it, they're both regular SATA drives, first one
fairly small, second one a terabyte or so. when he's running ubuntu
*live*, apparently they're both visible. if he runs openSUSE, they're
also both visible. it's only when he goes to install ubuntu 11.10 on
that system that, suddenly, his first drive isn't there anymore.

i have little more detail than that, only what he's described. does
this sound familiar to anyone? i can ask for more details later
today, like model number and so on.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
NoOp

> i'm teaching an embedded linux class this week and one of my
> students came up to me during a break to ask a ubuntu question. seems
> he has an ASUS desktop at home and, when he goes to install 11.10, the
> installation never sees the first of his two hard drives.
>
> as he describes it, they're both regular SATA drives, first one
> fairly small, second one a terabyte or so. when he's running ubuntu
> *live*, apparently they're both visible. if he runs openSUSE, they're
> also both visible. it's only when he goes to install ubuntu 11.10 on
> that system that, suddenly, his first drive isn't there anymore.
>
> i have little more detail than that, only what he's described. does
> this sound familiar to anyone? i can ask for more details later
> today, like model number and so on.
>
> rday

Sounds like a raid issue. Perhaps these will be of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/573618
[Installer does not detect hard drive partitions ]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dmraid/+bug/543008
[Ubiquity can't find the sata hard disk (promise 376 chip)] (related due
to Ubiquity skipping a drive with raid metadata)

Else:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity
<http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0#hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&q=ubu ntu+%2Bubiquity+%2Bsata>