Old 12-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Nils Kassube

Default running 32 bits software on linux 64 bits

Olivier Pavilla wrote:
> I have 2 software run under linux 32 bits. Mine is 64bit.
> I'm looking for light solution to run those 32 bit software on my
> ubuntu. I tried virtualbox. But it's too much heavy. Does Anyone have
> idea?

I think it should suffice to install the package "ia32-libs" to run 32
bit applications on a 64 bit system.

Nils

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Avi Greenbury

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Olivier Pavilla wrote:
> > I have 2 software run under linux 32 bits. Mine is 64bit.
> > I'm looking for light solution to run those 32 bit software on my
> > ubuntu. I tried virtualbox. But it's too much heavy. Does Anyone
> > have idea?
>
> I think it should suffice to install the package "ia32-libs" to run
> 32 bit applications on a 64 bit system.

Yeah, most software works OK when this is installed. Historically you
were supposed to invoke it as

linux32 <32-bit app>

but I'm increasingly seeing instructions that suggest there's some
magic going on to stop you needing to.

What app is it? There may be some specifics that it needs, or someone
may know of a 64-bit build.

--
Avi

Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 05:25:23 +0100, Olivier Pavilla wrote:

>I have 2 software run under linux 32 bits. Mine is 64bit.
>I'm looking for light solution to run those 32 bit software on my
>ubuntu. I tried virtualbox. But it's too much heavy. Does Anyone have
>idea?
>
>--
>Olivier Pavilla
>http://www.linux-squad.com
>"Les fautes d'orthographes de mes propos sont sous licence Ane bâté 1.0"

install ia32-libs

run the software normally