-   -   Query About Workspace Names **SOLVED** (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/606359-query-about-workspace-names-solved.html)

Jay Ridgley 12-04-2011 08:56 PM

Query About Workspace Names **SOLVED**

On 12/04/11 12:45, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:51:43 +0530
From: Rigved Rakshit<r.phate@gmail.com>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Query About Workspace Names

I have 4 systems with the desktop version of 10.4-3 LTS installed (all are
up to date). Two of them allow me to name the workspaces, the other two do
not. In each case 1 system is a laptop and 1 is a desktop system.

The two systems which allow you to name the workspaces are using the
Metacity window manager. Metacity allows one to name workspaces.

The two systems which do not allow you to name workspaces are using the
Compiz compositing manager. Compiz does not have the facility of giving
name to workspaces.

As a side note, Compiz works properly when you have a capable Graphics
Card. In case your system is unable to run Compiz, Metacity is used as a
fallback.

The applet simply either displays the workspace name dialog or it does

not...

That is the default behavior, based on whether you are using Metacity or
Compiz.

Very intriguing but I would like the to all have names.

If you do not need the cool graphic effects that are given by Compiz, then
you can use Metacity. Metacity allow you to give names.

To replace Compiz with Metacity, do the following:

1. Right-click on an empty space on the desktop. Select "Change Desktop
Background".
2. In the "Appearance Preferences" window that open up, click on the
"Visual Effects" tab.
3. Select "None: Provides a simple desktop environment without any effects."
4. After the changes have taken effect, you will have the ability to give
names to workspaces but you will lose the cool graphics effects.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit