Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Ken McLennan

Default Upgrade to 7.10 halts bootup

G'day there One & All,

Based on the stability and ease of use of 7.04, I just clicked the
magic "Upgrade" button and after a while 7.10 appeared on my hard drive.
I now find that it hangs on loading and a search of the fora has found
several proposed remedies but none that have worked. Hence I'm now here
requesting assistance.

I have an ASUS Pro31P notebook with a Centrino Duo processor. As
mentioned above I had 7.04 running just fine from its GRUB entry. I have
Vista, Elive, and Ubuntu in a triple boot setup. Ubuntu has / on
/dev/sda7, with /boot on /dev/sda6. Elive is on /dev/sda5 and I use
Elive's graphical variant of GRUB to boot it all. This worked fine with
7.04.

Now it begins to boot but hangs at the line "drivers
/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6: USB HID core driver". After about 10
minutes it drops to a shell in the initial ramfs and displays:

check root = bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT. /dev/sda7 does not exist. Dropping to shell!!

I assume that the latter indicates the boot process has stopped
before mounting the Ubuntu / partition.

Google has given me suggestions to try variants of "no-apci",
"acpi=off", "noapic", and "nolapic". None of these alone, nor any
combination has worked. Neither did all of them together (which didn't
really surprise me). I'm now stumped and asking for any ideas you may
have overcome the hassle.

I'm not sure what filesystem I've used for '/boot' but it's either
reiserfs like '/' is, or ext3. In either case, it shouldn't cause any
problems.

Thanks for listening,
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia

Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 AM
John Carlyle-Clarke

Ken McLennan wrote:
> Now it begins to boot but hangs at the line "drivers
> /usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6: USB HID core driver". After about 10
> minutes it drops to a shell in the initial ramfs and displays:
>
> check root = bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
> or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
> ALERT. /dev/sda7 does not exist. Dropping to shell!!
>
> I assume that the latter indicates the boot process has stopped
> before mounting the Ubuntu / partition.

That was the same symptom on mine when the root partition cannot be
mounted for some reason.
> Google has given me suggestions to try variants of "no-apci",
> "acpi=off", "noapic", and "nolapic". None of these alone, nor any
> combination has worked. Neither did all of them together (which didn't
> really surprise me). I'm now stumped and asking for any ideas you may
> have overcome the hassle.
>
> I'm not sure what filesystem I've used for '/boot' but it's either
> reiserfs like '/' is, or ext3. In either case, it shouldn't cause any
> problems.

I had some luck on a broken Gutsy upgrade by adding "ide1=noprobe
ide2=noprobe" to the kernel line. However, with a clean install I had
no such problems. This makes me think that I may have been victim of a
problem with the initramfs after the upgrade. I suspect you may have
the same problem. I suggest you refine your google with this in mind to
get the solution as I don't remember it off the top of my head!

Good luck,

John

Old 11-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there John,

> That was the same symptom on mine when the root partition cannot be
> mounted for some reason.

That's certainly what it looks like to me (but what do *I* know?) <g>

> I had some luck on a broken Gutsy upgrade by adding "ide1=noprobe
> ide2=noprobe" to the kernel line. However, with a clean install I had
> no such problems. This makes me think that I may have been victim of a
> problem with the initramfs after the upgrade. I suspect you may have
> the same problem. I suggest you refine your google with this in mind to
> get the solution as I don't remember it off the top of my head!

Thanks for that John. I'm off to try the kernel line options now. If
that's not successful then I shall take myself back to Google with my
inquiries refined as you suggest. With a bit of luck it may not be
necessary.

Thanks again
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia

Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there John,

> I had some luck on a broken Gutsy upgrade by adding "ide1=noprobe
> ide2=noprobe" to the kernel line. However, with a clean install I had

Wonderful news, your remedy worked like a charm. First attempt
wasn't real good, so I followed your extra advice and Googled away like
mad (OK, it was only one search, but that's not the point). A quick
perusal of Google results indicated that my IDE controllers were
probably 0 based - 0/1 not 1/2. Consequently entries of "ide0=noprobe" &
"ide1=noprobe" did the trick!!

Thanks very much for your assistance. Without your recollections &
suggestion I'd still be scratching my head.

Now all is well with the world and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon will bring
about world peace & end global poverty. Not to mention doing away with
the generation gap; bringing the world's religions together in
solidarity; feeding the hungry; clothing the nekkid; halting global
warming; carrying the human race to new planets and into interstellar
space!!! Geez... those developers had better get to work!!!

Take care,
Thanks again,
See ya
Ken McLennan