Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Patton Echols

Default Sync services - Wuala vs Tonido

I am looking for a sync / offsite storage solution and have narrowed it
down to waula and tonido. Since my thinking is kind of long, I'll
mention the questions first, and my thinking second.

Q 1. Does anyone have practical experience / comments about either?
Q 2. If you like tonido, have you installed it on a headless ubuntu
server? The documents I've found on their site make it appear that a
gui is needed for configuration.

Q 3. Are their other alternatives I may have overlooked?

My thinking. Dropbox is an obvious choice. In fact, I found both of
the above by searching for "dropbox alternatives". Given the security
problems that Dropbox has had, I'm not interested. Especiallty true
since I'll have business data on the service.

What is attractive about Waula is that encryption takes place on your
computer, not their server and they are right up front about having no
key recovery method. (If a service can recover a key for you, they can
recover it for someone else with a sufficient bribe or compulsion).
Wuala also allows you to share a folder with other users or those you
send a link to. (Additional security risk here, but manageable.) The
downside is relying on an international cloud service, no matter how secure.

What I like about Tonido is that your documents are on your own computer
that acts as a server for all the peers that it syncs with. It does not
appear straightforward to install without a gui (but I may just have not
found the correct instructions yet). I also don't know whether the
third party sharing is fine grained enough or secure enough. Sure, you
can give access to anyone you want. But I want more control.

These are the basic requirements: (1) Sync files that are available on
my office (Win-XP) machine with my desktop and laptop (Ubuntu lucid)
and, at some point viewable on an android pad. (2) Allow customers to be
able to view their subfolder and download their documents but see no-one
else's files. In other words, if I have a file tree like this:

customers/
john-doe/
drafts/
deliverables/
carl-moe/
drafts/
deliverables/

I want to be able to give both carl and john access to their own
deliverable folder, but not the drafts folder and not each others. I
believe Waula can do this, but I'm not sure about tonido.

Thanks for reading.

--PE

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Liviu Andronic

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am looking for a sync / offsite storage solution and have narrowed it down
> to waula and tonido. *Since my thinking is kind of long, I'll mention the
> questions first, and my thinking second.
>
> Q 1. Does anyone have practical experience / comments about either?
> Q 2. If you like tonido, have you installed it on a headless ubuntu server?
> *The documents I've found on their site make it appear that a gui is needed
> for configuration.
> Q 3. Are their other alternatives I may have overlooked?
>
> My thinking. *Dropbox is an obvious choice. *In fact, I found both of the
> above by searching for "dropbox alternatives". *Given the security problems
> that Dropbox has had, I'm not interested. *Especiallty true since I'll have
> business data on the service.

Check SpiderOak. I've been happy with its approach. And they, although
closed source, come from a FOSS background and release various
components in the wild.

Liviu

> What is attractive about Waula is that encryption takes place on your
> computer, not their server and they are right up front about having no key
> recovery method. *(If a service can recover a key for you, they can recover
> it for someone else with a sufficient bribe or compulsion). *Wuala also
> allows you to share a folder with other users or those you send a link to.
> *(Additional security risk here, but manageable.) The downside is relying on
> an international cloud service, no matter how secure.
>
> What I like about Tonido is that your documents are on your own computer
> that acts as a server for all the peers that it syncs with. *It does not
> appear straightforward to install without a gui (but I may just have not
> found the correct instructions yet). *I also don't know whether the third
> party sharing is fine grained enough or secure enough. *Sure, you can give
> access to anyone you want. *But I want more control.
>
> These are the basic requirements: *(1) Sync files that are available on my
> office (Win-XP) machine with my desktop and laptop (Ubuntu lucid) and, at
> some point viewable on an android pad. (2) Allow customers to be able to
> view their subfolder and download their documents but see no-one else's
> files. * In other words, if I have a file tree like this:
>
> customers/
> * *john-doe/
> * * * *drafts/
> * * * *deliverables/
> * *carl-moe/
> * * * *drafts/
> * * * *deliverables/
>
> I want to be able to give both carl and john access to their own deliverable
> folder, but not the drafts folder and not each others. *I believe Waula can
> do this, but I'm not sure about tonido.
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> --PE

Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Patton Echols

On 12/04/2011 02:20 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

[...]

Thanks Liviu,

Sorry I missed your reply. So many messages to the list.

One of the articles I read said that spideroak is less than
straightforward to set up. Do you find that to be true? Also, what of
their security model? In my case, an accident like Dropbox had
(Customer 1 being able to read Customer 2's files) could be devastating
to the Customers and cost me my job. Not a risk I am willing to take.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Liviu Andronic

Hello
I've discussed most of these points at length in a thread on the LyX
mailing list [1] (check all following posts).

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> One of the articles I read said that spideroak is less than straightforward
> to set up. Do you find that to be true?

It is less straightforward than Dropbox, indeed, but it depends what
you want to do with it. (The upshot is that it's more flexible.) If
general backup, then it's easy. If sync, than it's more of a pain (in
my experience). Dedicate one full hour to SpiderOak and you'll get up
to speed.

> Also, what of their security
> model?
>
> In my case, an accident like Dropbox had (Customer 1 being able to
> read Customer 2's files) could be devastating to the Customers and cost me
> my job. *Not a risk I am willing to take.

It's different (and discussed in the linked thread). Dropbox always
has access to your data: any of their employees or a government
official could read it in no time, provided bad intent or proper
judicial paperwork. SpiderOak never has access to your data: it is
being encrypted on the client side, and transmitted via HTTPS in
encrypted form and thus stored on their servers. In other words,
SpiderOak only has access to scrambled bits. When you download the
data, SO ships you scrambled bits that are being decrypted on the
client side: all encryption/decryption happens on your computer. The
downshot is that if you lose your password you cannot recover it, nor
the data.

There are several useful links in my posts in [1]. Regards
Liviu

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg89720.html

Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Patton Echols

On 12/14/2011 11:43 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

Hello
I've discussed most of these points at length in a thread on the LyX
mailing list [1] (check all following posts).

[SNIP]

There are several useful links in my posts in [1]. Regards
Liviu

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg89720.html

Ok, Looks like a project, but definitely in the running. Thanks.