Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default Query About Workspace Names

Folks,

I have 4 systems with the desktop version of 10.4-3 LTS installed (all are up to
date). Two of them allow me to name the workspaces, the other two do not. In
each case 1 system is a laptop and 1 is a desktop system.

What did I do that allows the names or what did I do that prevents them?

The applet simply either displays the workspace name dialog or it does not...

Very intriguing but I would like the to all have names.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Rigved Rakshit

I have 4 systems with the desktop version of 10.4-3 LTS installed (all are up to date). Two of them allow me to name the workspaces, the other two do not. In each case 1 system is a laptop and 1 is a desktop system.

The two systems which allow you to name the workspaces are using the Metacity window manager. Metacity allows one to name workspaces.

The two systems which do not allow you to name workspaces are using the Compiz compositing manager. Compiz does not have the facility of giving name to workspaces.

As a side note, Compiz works properly when you have a capable Graphics Card. In case your system is unable to run Compiz, Metacity is used as a fallback.

The applet simply either displays the workspace name dialog or it does not...

That is the default behavior, based on whether you are using Metacity or Compiz.

Very intriguing but I would like the to all have names.

If you do not need the cool graphic effects that are given by Compiz, then you can use Metacity. Metacity allow you to give names.

To replace Compiz with Metacity, do the following:

1. Right-click on an empty space on the desktop. Select "Change Desktop Background".
2. In the "Appearance Preferences" window that open up, click on the "Visual Effects" tab.
3. Select "None: Provides a simple desktop environment without any effects."

4. After the changes have taken effect, you will have the ability to give names to workspaces but you will lose the cool graphics effects.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit