Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Rogelio

Default workspace settings, auto boot into those workspaces

Is there a way to save programs in various workspaces, and then when you
log on, automatically have them all start in their assigned workspaces?

(I'm running 11.10 with Unity)

Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 12:52 -0800, Rogelio wrote:
> Is there a way to save programs in various workspaces, and then when you
> log on, automatically have them all start in their assigned workspaces?
>
> (I'm running 11.10 with Unity)

If unity 2-d I dunno.

If unity 3-d use CompizConfig Settings Manager and the "Place Windows"
plug-in to do this. Under the "Fixed Window Placement" tab there are
three classes: you need the bottom one, "Windows with fixed viewport."

This is *not* zero based, so on my system I have name=gnome-terminal 1
1, name=evolution 2 1, name=Firefox 3 1, etc..

You still have to click on the icons in the launcher for these at
start-time, but they auto-magically go to the correct virtual desktop
and wiggle at you when they're ready. I don't think that there's a way
to auto-start a whole bunch of things at log-on yet.

Liferea, the feed reader, is troublesome with this since it sometimes
ends up on the wrong desktop, but it has other troubles as well. I'm
looking for a better-behaved replacement. Otherwise this works, saves a
bit of time at start-up, and enforces a standard pattern of apps which
makes it easier to page around with the keyboard.

--
pongo pan
Sat, 03 Dec 2011 14:38:11 -0800