Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default ”Package dependencies can not be solved”

”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
installed at the same time.”

Details:
”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”

First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
this error message popped up again.

Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
they fixed it…?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 December 2011 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> ”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
> which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
> conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
> installed at the same time.”
>
> Details:
> ”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”
>
> First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
> update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
> myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
> from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
> When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
> not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
> this error message popped up again.
>
> Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
> they fixed it…?

Have you tried to do this?

sudo apt-get install -f

Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> ”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
> which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
> conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
> installed at the same time.”
>
> Details:
> ”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”
>
> First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
> update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
> myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
> from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
> When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
> not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
> this error message popped up again.
>
> Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
> they fixed it…?

You may open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and if it doesn't work, paste us the output.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/3 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
> On 3 December 2011 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
>> which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
>> conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
>> installed at the same time.”
>>
>> Details:
>> ”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”
>>
>> First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
>> update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
>> myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
>> from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
>> When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
>> not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
>> this error message popped up again.
>>
>> Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
>> they fixed it…?
>
> Have you tried to do this?
>
> sudo apt-get install -f

I tried it in my old install and it didn't help. I didn't try it since
the fresh install though, but I will now. Wait…

Reading package lists... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to install, 0 to remove and 252 to not upgrade.

(The last line was in Swedish, so the above is my translation of it).

Nothing more happened, so I'll try to install complete language
support again now:
Clicking Language Support
A dialogue box pops up, saying something like this, I translate from Swedish:
”Your language support is not fully installed
Some translations are available for your selected languages and they
are still not installed. Do you want to install them now?
language-pack-sv
language-pack-gnome-sv
language-pack-sv
[Remind me later] [Install]”

I clicked Install.
By the way, why are language-pack-sv mentioned twice…?

”Package dependencies cannot be resolved” and so on, in other words: FAIL.

Thanks for the input, though.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 December 2011 17:22, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/12/3 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
>> On 3 December 2011 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
>>> which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
>>> conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
>>> installed at the same time.”
>>>
>>> Details:
>>> ”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>> language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”
>>>
>>> First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
>>> update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
>>> myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
>>> from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
>>> When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
>>> not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
>>> this error message popped up again.
>>>
>>> Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
>>> they fixed it…?
>>
>> Have you tried to do this?
>>
>> sudo apt-get install -f
>
> I tried it in my old install and it didn't help. I didn't try it since
> the fresh install though, but I will now. Wait…
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> 0 to upgrade, 0 to install, 0 to remove and 252 to not upgrade.
>
> (The last line was in Swedish, so the above is my translation of it).

Inga problem. Jag kan förstå en lite svenska. :¬)

> Nothing more happened, so I'll try to install complete language
> support again now:
> Clicking Language Support
> A dialogue box pops up, saying something like this, I translate from Swedish:
> ”Your language support is not fully installed
> Some translations are available for your selected languages and they
> are still not installed. Do you want to install them now?
> language-pack-sv
> language-pack-gnome-sv
> language-pack-sv
> [Remind me later] [Install]”
>
> I clicked Install.
> By the way, why are language-pack-sv mentioned twice…?
>
> ”Package dependencies cannot be resolved” and so on, in other words: FAIL.
>
> Thanks for the input, though.

I think this is a known problem - I had the same error on my clean
install of 64-bit Oneiric. Don't know what the solution is, though,
but it might be worth hunting through Launchpad...

Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/3 Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
>> which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
>> conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
>> installed at the same time.”
>>
>> Details:
>> ”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”
>>
>> First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
>> update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
>> myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
>> from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
>> When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
>> not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
>> this error message popped up again.
>>
>> Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
>> they fixed it…?
>

> You may open a terminal and type:
>
> sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>

> and if it doesn't work, paste us the output.

I tried, but now it seems like my Internet connection broke too.
Restarting Ubuntu didn't help. It looks like it's working but I can't
connect to anything. Started Firefox, same thing there.
Sometimes I just get so tired…

Fortunately I have this computer which I'm on right now, with Ubuntu
10.10 installed, which just works. At least the important stuff…

I'll be back when (or if) I fixed it. At the moment I don't have a clue, though.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/3 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2011/12/3 Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ”This error could be caused by required additional software packages
>>> which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a
>>> conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be
>>> installed at the same time.”
>>>
>>> Details:
>>> ”The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>> language-pack-gnome-sv; language-pack-sv;”
>>>
>>> First time I got this was when doing one of those updates using the
>>> update manager. I thought that maybe some of the stuff I installed
>>> myself could be the reason, so I installed Ubuntu 11.10 again, but
>>> from scratch this time (except that I kept my old /home partition).
>>> When starting up I was informed that the Swedish language support was
>>> not complete and I was asked to fix it. I said yes and after a while
>>> this error message popped up again.
>>>
>>> Is this fixable or should I just wait for the next update and hope
>>> they fixed it…?
>>

>> You may open a terminal and type:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>

>> and if it doesn't work, paste us the output.
>
> I tried, but now it seems like my Internet connection broke too.
> Restarting Ubuntu didn't help. It looks like it's working but I can't
> connect to anything. Started Firefox, same thing there.
> Sometimes I just get so tired…
>
> Fortunately I have this computer which I'm on right now, with Ubuntu
> 10.10 installed, which just works. At least the important stuff…
>
> I'll be back when (or if) I fixed it. At the moment I don't have a clue, though.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Today I tried to install the Swedish language support again and this
time it worked without any problems. Maybe one of the many updates
since last time fixed it. Anyway, at the moment the problems seems to
be solved.

Thanks for trying to help!

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg