Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 AM
steve

Default help configuring ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop

Hi all from a new linux user and new to this users list.
I would like help please to be able to use the external monitor attached
to my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 laptop. I have set out, as clearly as I can,
the relevent hardware/software specs. and my difficulties, in the
attached text file.
Thanks in anticipation,
Stephen
Lenovo ThinkPad T61
model - 7664-15M

BIOS- lenovo vers 7LET52WW (1.22)

OS - Ubuntu Gutsy installed successfully and dual-booting with XP sp2, with 2 GB
ram

A. DISPLAY

physical confign. -
built in 14" wide-screen native res - 1280x800, 60Hz +
external monitor-Lenovo L192 19" wide screen, native res 1440x900, 60 Hz
(Both work fine under XP)

VIDEO card- nvidia quadro nvs 140M, 128Mb

installed DRIVER -
NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (latest cards)
Reported by "Restricted Drivers Manager" as ENABLED and in use.

issues: 0.NVIDIA splash screen appears briefly before Ubuntu logon screen and
laptop screen works fine at 1280x800 but only at 50Hz. Cannot get external
monitor to work.
1.how to get external monitor working - Fn + F7 not working
2.how to configure each monitor to work at their native res
3.how to switch between the two
4.enable 3D accelerated video effects

NOTES:
a) memory allocation error reported after selecting ubuntu from grub and
before Ubuntu splash screen appears. Doesn't appear to cause any problem.
b)Using the "Graphics" tab in "Screens and Graphics Options" to select the
correct driver and then the Screen tab to set the screen res, doesn't seem
to have any effect...I save the settings in a "location" but how do I make
that "location' the current one i.e to apply its settings?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Paul Kaplan

I found that the gui display config module w/ kubuntu which was stellar with
an internal LCD on a laptop didn't do as well with a dual monitor setup (I
have a T43 w/ on-board intel graphics).

Try dual monitor page at the ubuntu wiki; it has some guidance. Also, I read
recently that the current version of xorg doesn't require the xorg.conf file
although it seems to get installed. If you're intrepid w/ the command line,
you could rename the existing file and see if X starts correctly w/ the
external.

Lastly, try the Thinkpad site and list (linux-thinkpad.org).

Good luck,
Paul

Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
"Stephen Abbott"

Hi Paul,
thanks for your suggestions, I will follow them up when I get a chance
tomorrow.
Cheers,
Stephen