Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Colin Law

Default java unintalled but stil is there?

On 3 December 2011 04:57, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I have installed sun java from the software center and uninstalled
>> openJDK and icedtea java plugin from the software center, but still
>> when I run the command:
>
>> sudo update-alternatives --config java
>
>> I get the output as follows:
>
>> There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).
>
>> *Selection * *Path * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Priority * Status
>> * 0 * * * * * */usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java * 1061 * * *auto mode
>> *1 * * * * * */usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java * 1061 * * *manual mode
>> *2 * * * * * */usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java * * * 63 * * * *manual mode
>
>> Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
>
>> If I have uninstalled openJDK and iced tea plugins and other javas,
>> and rebooted why it is showing me this that I have three versions of
>> java installed?
>
> It is still the problem, how do I solve this...?

What happens if you do
java -version

Colin

Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> What happens if you do
> java -version

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Colin Law

On 3 December 2011 11:36, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>

>> What happens if you do
>> java -version
>
> java version "1.6.0_26"
> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Sorry, I have just read the question again, I thought you were trying
to remove *all* the java versions.
If you run synaptic package manager, select Status in the lower part
of the left hand window and Installed in the top and type openjdk in
the Quick Filter search window, does it show any of the stuff you
think you have uninstalled? If so then uninstall it.

Colin

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:57 AM, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I have installed sun java from the software center and uninstalled
>> openJDK and icedtea java plugin from the software center, but still
>> when I run the command:
>
>> sudo update-alternatives --config java
>
>> I get the output as follows:
>
>> There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).
>
>> *Selection * *Path * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Priority * Status
>> * 0 * * * * * */usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java * 1061 * * *auto mode
>> *1 * * * * * */usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java * 1061 * * *manual mode
>> *2 * * * * * */usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java * * * 63 * * * *manual mode
>
>> Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
>
>> If I have uninstalled openJDK and iced tea plugins and other javas,
>> and rebooted why it is showing me this that I have three versions of
>> java installed?
>
> It is still the problem, how do I solve this...?

1. Install Synaptic package manager.

2. Perform a search about java with it.

3. See which Javas you have installed, and uninstall those you do not want.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> 1. Install Synaptic package manager.

> 2. Perform a search about java with it.

> 3. See which Javas you have installed, and uninstall those you do not want.

I am amazed to see that I removed icedtea and openjdk from Software
Center but after searching from the Status field of Synanptic, it is
installed there! However, I have not uninstalled but made the java sun
default (saw at help.ubuntu.com) but I am amazed then what did
Software Center uninstalled when I clicked removed after searching
'icedtea'...

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Colin Law

On 5 December 2011 10:07, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I have just read the question again, I thought you were trying
>> to remove *all* the java versions.
>> If you run synaptic package manager, select Status in the lower part
>> of the left hand window and Installed in the top and type openjdk in
>> the Quick Filter search window, does it show any of the stuff you
>> think you have uninstalled? *If so then uninstall it.
>
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Ioannis Vranos *wrote:
>
>> 1. Install Synaptic package manager.
>
>> 2. Perform a search about java with it.
>
>> 3. See which Javas you have installed, and uninstall those you do not want.
>
> I am amazed to see that I removed icedtea and openjdk from Software
> Center but after searching from the Status field of Synanptic, it is
> installed there! However, I have not uninstalled but made the java sun
> default (saw at help.ubuntu.com) but I am amazed then what did
> Software Center uninstalled when I clicked removed after searching
> 'icedtea'...

If you run Software Center and click on History in the toolbar you
should be able to see exactly what it uninstalled.

Colin

Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> If you run Software Center and click on History in the toolbar you
> should be able to see exactly what it uninstalled.

Is plugin of java something different from Java?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Colin Law

On 5 December 2011 11:52, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> If you run Software Center and click on History in the toolbar you
>> should be able to see exactly what it uninstalled.
>
> Is plugin of java something different from Java?

Yes.

Colin

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Is plugin of java something different from Java?

> Yes.

Oh I see, then I must have removed the plugin and not java and If I
have done this, I am sure that is the reason why it is showing
there......Oh I see...

Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> I have installed sun java from the software center and uninstalled
> openJDK and icedtea java plugin from the software center, but still
> when I run the command:

Are you running 11.04 or below? I believe Oracle Java has been removed
from 11.10.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin