Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
LinuxIsOne

Default What I do for a new machine?

Hi,

For a new machine, I am going to install Ubuntu but I am not able to
understand, should I install it with the default options or should
separate the partitions for:

/
/home
/boot
/swap

Can one elaborate the pros and cons?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Olivier Pavilla

Le 02/12/2011 14:13, LinuxIsOne a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> For a new machine, I am going to install Ubuntu but I am not able to
> understand, should I install it with the default options or should
> separate the partitions for:
>
> /
> /home
> /boot
> /swap

In my case I do this for all of my laptops

/ is on /dev/sda2
/boot is on /dev/sda1
/home is on /dev/sda4 <= encrypted
/opt is on /dev/sda6
/tmp is on /dev/sda5
/usr/local is on /dev/sda8
/var is on /dev/sda7
swap is on /dev/sda9 <= encrypted

Olivier Pavilla
http://www.linux-squad.com
"Les fautes d'orthographes de mes propos sont sous licence Ane bâté 1.0"

Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a new machine, I am going to install Ubuntu but I am not able to
> understand, should I install it with the default options or should
> separate the partitions for:
>
> /
> /home
> /boot
> /swap
>
> Can one elaborate the pros and cons?

Usually it makes sense to separate directories on multiuser/server
systems to avoid DOS attacks. For example, if you have all directories
in the same partition, an attacker who is a local user, could fill his
/home/user directory, or the /tmp directory, so as the system to run
out of space and collapse.

Also it makes sense to make the /home directory separate, if you want
to upgrade your Linux distribution version, but want your users to
keep their files and settings.

For home users, installing all in the same / partition is OK and simple.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net