Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
NoOp

Default how to disable touchpad on asus laptop running 11.10?

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/mouse-disabletouchpad.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:12:05 pm NoOp wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 11:34 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > the touchpad on my asus G74S is so sensitive that when i'm typing,
> >
> > even a slight brush of the pad is recognized. first impression is to
> > simply disable it entirely and use an external mouse, but when i
> > googled, i found this:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880532
> >
> > i like the idea of being able to say, simply disable the touchpad
> >
> > while i'm typing. in any event, what is the *recommended* way to
> > disable the touchpad? is that gconftool invocation considered a
> > reasonable approach? thanks.

I could never get it turned off in Ubuntu so I taped a credit card over it.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Pastor JW <rev.olson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:12:05 pm NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/01/2011 11:34 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> > * the touchpad on my asus G74S is so sensitive that when i'm typing,
>> >
>> > even a slight brush of the pad is recognized. *first impression is to
>> > simply disable it entirely and use an external mouse, but when i
>> > googled, i found this:
>> >
>> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880532
>> >
>> > * i like the idea of being able to say, simply disable the touchpad
>> >
>> > while i'm typing. *in any event, what is the *recommended* way to
>> > disable the touchpad? *is that gconftool invocation considered a
>> > reasonable approach? *thanks.
>
> I could never get it turned off in Ubuntu so I taped a credit card over it.

In my laptop I disable it through a laptop-specific shortcut. If this
doesn't work for you in a permanent way, you may try
Touchpad-Indicator:

https://launchpad.net/touchpad-indicator

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/touchpad-indicator-now-automatically.html

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 AM
NoOp

On 12/02/2011 01:49 PM, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:12:05 pm NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/01/2011 11:34 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> > the touchpad on my asus G74S is so sensitive that when i'm typing,
>> >
>> > even a slight brush of the pad is recognized. first impression is to
>> > simply disable it entirely and use an external mouse, but when i
>> > googled, i found this:
>> >
>> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880532
>> >
>> > i like the idea of being able to say, simply disable the touchpad
>> >
>> > while i'm typing. in any event, what is the *recommended* way to
>> > disable the touchpad? is that gconftool invocation considered a
>> > reasonable approach? thanks.
>
> I could never get it turned off in Ubuntu so I taped a credit card over it.

I didn't write *any* of what you attributed.

Doesn't much matter as Robert must have turned off his entire keyboard
in the process (he's not replied) & I like the good use of a credit
card. :-) But please mind your attributions in the future.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 AM
doug

the touchpad on my asus G74S is so sensitive that when i'm typing,

even a slight brush of the pad is recognized. first impression is to
simply disable it entirely and use an external mouse, but when i
googled, i found this:

i like the idea of being able to say, simply disable the touchpad

while i'm typing. in any event, what is the *recommended* way to
disable the touchpad? is that gconftool invocation considered a
reasonable approach? thanks.

I could never get it turned off in Ubuntu so I taped a credit card over it.

I didn't write *any* of what you attributed.

Doesn't much matter as Robert must have turned off his entire keyboard
in the process (he's not replied)& I like the good use of a credit
card. :-) But please mind your attributions in the future.

Can you get and use synaptiks (note spelling) in your distro?
That will turn off the touchpad when you have an external
pointing device plugged in.

--doug

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 3 December 2011 04:30, doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> Can you get and use synaptiks (note spelling) in your distro?
> That will turn off the touchpad when you have an external
> pointing device plugged in.
What's wrong with xinput?

hakan@photon:11:14:07:~$ xinput list |grep -i Touch
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

hakan@photon:11:16:10:~$ xinput set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
"Device Enabled" 0
Device gone.

hakan@photon:11:16:10:~$ xinput set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
"Device Enabled" 1
Device back.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 PM
CJ Tres

the touchpad on my asus G74S is so sensitive that when i'm typing,
even a slight brush of the pad is recognized. first impression is to
simply disable it entirely and use an external mouse, but when i
googled, i found this:

i like the idea of being able to say, simply disable the touchpad
while i'm typing. in any event, what is the *recommended* way to
disable the touchpad? is that gconftool invocation considered a
reasonable approach? thanks.

rday

I installed touchfreeze on my Lenovo Thinkpad.
Uncheck the Enable box and it quits interfering.