Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default java -version

Hi

Can someone please explain me about the output of java -version

$java -version
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

$

Any tutorials or docs which explains about various bit in the above output.

Please guide/suggest.

Regards

Kaushal

Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Knute Johnson

Can someone please explain me about the output of java -version

$java -version
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)
$

Any tutorials or docs which explains about various bit in the above output.

Please guide/suggest.

Regards

Kaushal

Java 6 or 1.6.0 update 24. The current Sun update of 1.6.0 is 29. Java
7 is also out and the current update for it is 1. And it is 64 bit, so
I assume you have a 64 bit OS. Ubuntu typically seems to run 2 or 3
versions behind.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Avi Greenbury

I'm not sure of any definitive guides, but it'd be help to have an idea
of how Java works from a high-level - to be familiar with what the JRE
and JVM are, for example, and how Java runs portable bytecode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28software_platform%29

is probably a good place to start, but I'll admit I've not read it.
Either way, searching the net for any phrases in my attempted
explanations might help:

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> $java -version
> java version "1.6.0_24"
Your Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is version 1.6.0_24

You are running build 07 of version 1.6.0_24 of that JRE

> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)
Your Java Virtual Machine is HotSpot, it is compiled for a 64-bit
system and it is running in 'server' mode. Server-mode refers to the
sorts of optimisations made - it assumes a long-running JRE instance.
You are running Hotspot version 19.1-b02 in mixed-mode. Mixed-mode
means that it will sometimes compile Java bytecode down into native
code.

--
Avi