-   -   Allowing users to restart CUPS (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/604744-allowing-users-restart-cups.html)

Linda 11-30-2011 02:46 PM

Allowing users to restart CUPS

I need to allow normal users to restart the cups server. I
know I used to have this set up years ago with lpr, but I
can not remember how I did it. Could anyone point me in the
right direction.

Thanks
Linda

Shawn Pringle 12-03-2011 07:44 PM

On 30/11/2011 12:46 PM, Linda wrote:
> I need to allow normal users to restart the cups server. I know I used
> to have this set up years ago with lpr, but I can not remember how I did
> it. Could anyone point me in the right direction.
> Thanks
> Linda

You should look at the documentation for sudo. You can specify what a
user can do with sudo. So, your admin users can do anything, you can
set sudo to allow normal users to restart the cups server.

I'll assume you know how to do that as root. The daemon is called
cupsd... I heard you can use: '/etc/init.d/cupsd restart' to restart.

Shawn Pringle

PGP public key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net