Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

Default Transparent windows: how to get rid of it?

I use Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity as interface. Ican not say that I was always happy with this Unity thing, but I like it now. There is one thing I hate: from time to time there is a sort of transparent window appearing on the screen and I can not find a way to get rid of it! I would like to know what the purpose of this "window" is, what triggers the appearance of this window, and most of all: is there a way to switch this "feature" off?

Any help is most appreciated!

Freddy

Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Colin Law

On 29 November 2011 21:12, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity as interface. Ican not say that I was always
> happy with this Unity thing, but I like it now. There is one thing I hate:
> from time to time there is a sort of transparent window appearing on the
> screen and I can not find a way to get rid of it! I would like to know what
> the purpose of this "window" is, what triggers the appearance of this
> window, and most of all: is there a way to switch this "feature" off?
> Any help is most appreciated!

Can you give us a clue as to what is on this window? If not then
perhaps a screenshot.

Colin

Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

I think that my question is confusing the way I posed here. In fact I should not speak about a window, but I do not know how to name it: sometimes it appears on the screen as a sort of indication were to put a existing window, a sort of placeholder or how should I name it? It is a sort of transparent rectangular that appears on top of my desktop and it does not affect the way I worked, it is there, I can see and continue my current work, and the only way to get rid of it is to resize a window, place it on this transparent and then the window takes the size of that transparent which disappear and after that I can return to the size that i like for my current work (Firefox for example, or whatever).

I know that my question is not very clear, but the problem is that I dont know the name or the meaning, or even the purpose of that transparent rectangular.
Any help is very appreciated.
Freddy

*

Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Colin Law

On 3 December 2011 09:59, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that my question is confusing the way I posed here. In fact I should
> not speak about a window, but I do not know how to name it: sometimes it
> appears on the screen as a sort of indication were to put a existing window,
> a sort of placeholder or how should I name it? It is a sort of transparent
> rectangular that appears on top of my desktop and it does not affect the way
> I worked, it is there, I can see and continue my current work, and the only
> way to get rid of it is to resize a window, place it on this transparent and
> then the window takes the size of that transparent which disappear and after
> that I can return to the size that i like for my current work (Firefox for
> example, or whatever).

Very strange. Are you able to get a screen capture with it visible?

Colin

Old 12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Colin Law

On 3 December 2011 10:05, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 December 2011 09:59, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that my question is confusing the way I posed here. In fact I should
>> not speak about a window, but I do not know how to name it: sometimes it
>> appears on the screen as a sort of indication were to put a existing window,
>> a sort of placeholder or how should I name it? It is a sort of transparent
>> rectangular that appears on top of my desktop and it does not affect the way
>> I worked, it is there, I can see and continue my current work, and the only
>> way to get rid of it is to resize a window, place it on this transparent and
>> then the window takes the size of that transparent which disappear and after
>> that I can return to the size that i like for my current work (Firefox for
>> example, or whatever).
>
> Very strange. *Are you able to get a screen capture with it visible?

I found this on launchpad, but it I don't think it is the same problem is it?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/850207

Colin

Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that my question is confusing the way I posed here. In fact I should
> not speak about a window, but I do not know how to name it: sometimes it
> appears on the screen as a sort of indication were to put a existing window,
> a sort of placeholder or how should I name it? It is a sort of transparent
> rectangular that appears on top of my desktop and it does not affect the way
> I worked, it is there, I can see and continue my current work, and the only
> way to get rid of it is to resize a window, place it on this transparent and
> then the window takes the size of that transparent which disappear and after
> that I can return to the size that i like for my current work (Firefox for
> example, or whatever).
> I know that my question is not very clear, but the problem is that I dont
> know the name or the meaning, or even the purpose of that transparent
> rectangular.
> Any help is very appreciated.

When you see it again, press the key PrtSc (print screen) on your
keyboard to get a screenshot of your desktop, or alternatively run the
Screenshot application from the menu Accessories.

Then you may send us the screenshot, if it contains this "placeholder" thing.

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 12-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 December 2011 09:59, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that my question is confusing the way I posed here. In fact I should
> not speak about a window, but I do not know how to name it: sometimes it
> appears on the screen as a sort of indication were to put a existing window,
> a sort of placeholder or how should I name it? It is a sort of transparent
> rectangular that appears on top of my desktop and it does not affect the way
> I worked, it is there, I can see and continue my current work, and the only
> way to get rid of it is to resize a window, place it on this transparent and
> then the window takes the size of that transparent which disappear and after
> that I can return to the size that i like for my current work (Firefox for
> example, or whatever).
> I know that my question is not very clear, but the problem is that I dont
> know the name or the meaning, or even the purpose of that transparent
> rectangular.
> Any help is very appreciated.

Ahh, right. I think I have seen this and know what you are talking about.

Windows 7 introduced a new feature of edge-snap window tiling. If you
drag a window to the right or left edge of the monitor, it will resize
that window so that it takes either the left or the right half of the
screen. This means that by dragging one window to the left and one to
the right, you end up with 2 vertically-tiled windows, side-by-side.
It is very handy.

Similarly, dragging a window to the top of the screen maximises it.

Also on Windows, resizing the top of a window right to the top of the
screen will snap-resize the window to the full height of the screen
but not change the width.

The window manager in the Unity desktop tries to do the same, but it
implements it badly. Rather than the *mouse pointer* touching the side
of the screen, if the *edge of the window* touches the side of the
screen, it attempts to snap-resize it to half the screen size, and if
the window-edge touches the top, it tries to maximise it. It shows
what it is going to do by drawing a translucent brown rectangle with
an orange border over where the window is going to go.

If you don't want this to happen and you therefore move the window
back away from the screen-edge a little bit, the overlay box
disappears and the window is not resized.

I find it very irritating, to be honest, but I just live with it.

The snag is that sometimes, if you move the window, the overlay box
does not disappear, but remains visible. You can see the window
contents through it, so it's not fatal, but it's irritating.

I have not been able to isolate a cause of the persistent overlay box.

What I have found is how to get rid of it. It is not always easy. What
you must do is this:
* identify /which/ window you were moving to get the overlay box. It
may not be the last one you were using.
* grab its title bar and move it slightly.
* if this does not cause the box to disappear, then:
* move the target window to one edge of the screen, left, right or
top, so that the window-manager offers to snap-resize it again. At
this point, it will draw a /new/ overlay box to show where it's going
to go - and then it will "remember" the old leftover one and remove
it.
* move the window back where it was, so that the new overlay box disappears.

Now the screen should be clear and unobstructed.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 December 2011 13:40, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I have not been able to isolate a cause of the persistent overlay box.
>
> What I have found is how to get rid of it. It is not always easy. What
> you must do is this:
> * identify /which/ window you were moving to get the overlay box. It
> may not be the last one you were using.
> * grab its title bar and move it slightly.
> * if this does not cause the box to disappear, then:
> * move the target window to one edge of the screen, left, right or
> top, so that the window-manager offers to snap-resize it again. At
> this point, it will draw a /new/ overlay box to show where it's going
> to go - and then it will "remember" the old leftover one and remove
> it.
> * move the window back where it was, so that the new overlay box disappears.
>
> Now the screen should be clear and unobstructed.

This might be the bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-distro-priority/+bug/875557

Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks to Liam, Colin and Ioannis for the help. Liam: this is indeed the problem! Now that I know what happens, I think I can live with it (for the time being). I hope that this behaviour will be corrected in a next version or something!
Thanks again!

Freddy

Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Colin Law

On 4 December 2011 10:37, <freddyEK@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Liam, Colin and Ioannis for the help. Liam: this is indeed the
> problem! Now that I know what happens, I think I can live with it (for the
> time being). I hope that this behaviour will be corrected in a next version
> or something!

It looks from the bug report as if it should be released soon, in the
meantime, if it is annoying, you could try Ubuntu 2d which will not
show the problem. On the login screen click the cog above the
password field and select 2d. In fact I prefer the 2d version to 3d
at the moment, it seems a little less buggy. If you don't like it you
can just switch back again.

Colin