Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Using calibre safely?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:23:29 -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

[snip]

> If you examine the source code, apparently this is exactly what it is
> supposed to do:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/calibre/trunk/view/head:/src/calibre/
> devices/linux_mount_helper.c

Surprised, I verified this with the debugger. On my x86, the entire program is:

(gdb) disass
Dump of assembler code for function main:
0x080483b4 <+0>: push %ebp
0x080483b5 <+1>: mov %esp,%ebp
0x080483b7 <+3>: mov $0x1,%eax
0x080483bc <+8>: pop %ebp
0x080483bd <+9>: ret
End of assembler dump.
(gdb)

Pretty much identical to false(1). Not much danger there.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 01:09 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>

> If you have a Internet facing system, then turn on the firewall. *This
> should *always* be done. *No matter how secure a default install is, it is
> way too easy to unknowingly install a package that listens for incoming
> network connections.
>
> By default, Ubuntu installs UFW. *Basic firewall protection is as simple as
> editing your /etc/ufw.conf file and changing Enabled to yes.

I tried it: edited the config file /etc/ufw/ufw.conf, and rebooted.
My apache2 web server was blocked, in spite of the entry in
/etc/ufw/applications.d.

So I disabled it again. I'll have to spend more time reading the
documentation. I find the mixture of configuration lines and commands
to be confusing. I don't want to have to enter commands every time I
reboot. The bloody thing creates 31 separate tables, and there's a lot
of structure but not much guidance. Besides that, the stuff in
applications.d has some pretty confusing stuff, which may not even be
used judging by the blocking of apache.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD