Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default anyone have the recipe for installing samsung scx-4826fn multifn ptr under 11.10?

every time i go to a new release of ubuntu, i have to fight with
this. grrrrr. here's where i'm starting:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP00&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_c d=SCX-4826FN/XAA&prd_mdl_name=SCX-4826FN&srchword=SCX-4826FN%20|%20SCX-4826FN/XAA

but following those instructions gives me a main configuration that
doesn't let me add anything. if someone else has gone through this,
by all means, help me out. there are days where i really, truly
*hate* samsung.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Pierre Meurisse

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 06:27:35PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> every time i go to a new release of ubuntu, i have to fight with
> this. grrrrr. here's where i'm starting:
>
> http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP00&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_c d=SCX-4826FN/XAA&prd_mdl_name=SCX-4826FN&srchword=SCX-4826FN%20|%20SCX-4826FN/XAA
>
> but following those instructions gives me a main configuration that
> doesn't let me add anything. if someone else has gone through this,
> by all means, help me out. there are days where i really, truly
> *hate* samsung.

I tried http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/
It worked for me.

Cheers.

--
Pierre Meurisse

Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Pierre Meurisse wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 06:27:35PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > every time i go to a new release of ubuntu, i have to fight with
> > this. grrrrr. here's where i'm starting:
> >
> > http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP00&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_c d=SCX-4826FN/XAA&prd_mdl_name=SCX-4826FN&srchword=SCX-4826FN%20|%20SCX-4826FN/XAA
> >
> > but following those instructions gives me a main configuration that
> > doesn't let me add anything. if someone else has gone through this,
> > by all means, help me out. there are days where i really, truly
> > *hate* samsung.
>
> I tried http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/
> It worked for me.

i eventually ran across that site so i'll give it a shot later
today, thanks. regarding what seems to be the problem with using
samsung's unified driver directly, i went through the standard
instructions which (allegedly) installed everything under
/opt/Samsung/mfp.

so after the installation, i went to /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin, and
manually ran "Configurator", which brought up the main dialog -- so
far, so good. but selecting "add printer" produced nothing. so i
tried running the "printeradd" executable in that directory directly,
and got:

./printeradd: error while loading shared libraries: libmfp.so: cannot

huh. interesting. so where should that shared lib come from?
turns out it *is* part of the zip file you can download from samsung,
but it is *not* installed anywhere that is accessible, so no surprise
that adding a printer quietly fails.

i might try simply copying that library into an appropriate location
later (/opt/smfp-common/lib64 or elsewhere), but it's really grating
that this doesn't just work.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Pierre Meurisse

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 07:19:03AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> so after the installation, i went to /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin, and
> manually ran "Configurator", which brought up the main dialog -- so
> far, so good. but selecting "add printer" produced nothing. so i
> tried running the "printeradd" executable in that directory directly,
> and got:
>
> ./printeradd: error while loading shared libraries: libmfp.so: cannot
>
> huh. interesting. so where should that shared lib come from?
> turns out it *is* part of the zip file you can download from samsung,
> but it is *not* installed anywhere that is accessible, so no surprise
> that adding a printer quietly fails.
>
> i might try simply copying that library into an appropriate location
> later (/opt/smfp-common/lib64 or elsewhere), but it's really grating
> that this doesn't just work.

I installed :

pier@asusid~% aptitude search samsung |grep "^i"
i A samsungmfp-configurator-data - Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (data)
i samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 - Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (Qt4 i
i samsungmfp-data - Samsung Unified Linux Driver (data)
i samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65 - Samsung Unified Linux Driver (drivers)
i samsungmfp-legacy-scanner - transitional package for samsungmfp-scanne
i A samsungmfp-network - Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (netwo
i A samsungmfp-scanner - Samsung Unified Linux Driver (enable scann
pier@asusid~%

and I found :

pier@asusid~% dpkg -L samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65| grep libmfp.so
/usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1
/usr/lib/libmfp.so
/usr/lib/libmfp.so.1
pier@asusid~%

Hope this works for you.

--
Pierre Meurisse

Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Pierre Meurisse wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 07:19:03AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > so after the installation, i went to /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin, and
> > manually ran "Configurator", which brought up the main dialog -- so
> > far, so good. but selecting "add printer" produced nothing. so i
> > tried running the "printeradd" executable in that directory directly,
> > and got:
> >
> > ./printeradd: error while loading shared libraries: libmfp.so: cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > huh. interesting. so where should that shared lib come from?
> > turns out it *is* part of the zip file you can download from samsung,
> > but it is *not* installed anywhere that is accessible, so no surprise
> > that adding a printer quietly fails.
> >
> > i might try simply copying that library into an appropriate location
> > later (/opt/smfp-common/lib64 or elsewhere), but it's really grating
> > that this doesn't just work.
> >
> I installed :
>
> pier@asusid~% aptitude search samsung |grep "^i"
> i A samsungmfp-configurator-data - Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (data)
> i samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 - Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (Qt4 i
> i samsungmfp-data - Samsung Unified Linux Driver (data)
> i samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65 - Samsung Unified Linux Driver (drivers)
> i samsungmfp-legacy-scanner - transitional package for samsungmfp-scanne
> i A samsungmfp-network - Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (netwo
> i A samsungmfp-scanner - Samsung Unified Linux Driver (enable scann
> pier@asusid~%
>
> and I found :
>
> pier@asusid~% dpkg -L samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65| grep libmfp.so
> /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1
> /usr/lib/libmfp.so
> /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1
> pier@asusid~%
>
> Hope this works for you.

ah, that's obviously after you added the appropriate entry to
/etc/apt/sources.list. i'll try that later today, thanks.