Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Willis

Default Open Office

I am unable to save a document in the Word Processor and I am running
Ubuntu 7.10 and Oo 2.3. I am presently using Abi Word instead but
really would like to get the Open Office back up and running.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Caleb Marcus

I am unable to save a document in the Word Processor and I am running
Ubuntu 7.10 and Oo 2.3. I am presently using Abi Word instead but
really would like to get the Open Office back up and running.

It would help if we knew what happened when you try to save.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Paul Kaplan

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 1:32:40 am Willis wrote:
> I am unable to save a document in the Word Processor and I am running
> Ubuntu 7.10 and Oo 2.3. I am presently using Abi Word instead but
> really would like to get the Open Office back up and running.

Does this happen with newly created documents as well as docs that are sent as
attachments? What about doc vs odf files? In my case, OO opens doc
attachments as Read Only and the only way to work with them is to save from
e-mail to disk and then open from w/ in OO. The one odf attachment I
received opened fine.

Paul

Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Willis

Caleb Marcus wrote:

I am unable to save a document in the Word Processor and I am running
Ubuntu 7.10 and Oo 2.3. I am presently using Abi Word instead but
really would like to get the Open Office back up and running.

It would help if we knew what happened when you try to save.

I'm sorry.* It crashes and that is all it tells me.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Chris Jeffries

I wanted a function OO that I could not find.

I wanted to do a word count of everything that was styled a particular
way (Academic essay word count excluding quotes and heading to be
precise)

In MS Word it would be easy (Select all of this style, Count selected)

But I couldn't find "Select all this style" in OO

So I though - ooh a macro maybe. So I went tot the OO site to get some
documentation - and got lost.

Does anyone know a good starting place with this - preferably using
Javascript as it is a language I know. I just need a neatly organise
object/function library documantation for the OO interface.

I just failed to find anything over at OO and though soemone here might
just know.

Chris.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:17 AM
Al Black

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 12:57 +0800, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> I wanted a function OO that I could not find.
>
> I wanted to do a word count of everything that was styled a particular
> way (Academic essay word count excluding quotes and heading to be
> precise)

Its a bit clunky and quick and dirty, but you could save a copy of the
file in plain text, open up a term, and then "wc -w 'filename'".

al

Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/10/26 Chris Jeffries <chris@candm.org.uk>:
> I wanted a function OO that I could not find.
>
> I wanted to do a word count of everything that was styled a particular
> way (Academic essay word count excluding quotes and heading to be
> precise)
>
> In MS Word it would be easy (Select all of this style, Count selected)
>
> But I couldn't find "Select all this style" in OO
>
> So I though - ooh a macro maybe. So I went tot the OO site to get some
> documentation - and got lost.
>
> Does anyone know a good starting place with this - preferably using
> Javascript as it is a language I know. I just need a neatly organise
> object/function library documantation for the OO interface.
>
> I just failed to find anything over at OO and though soemone here might
> just know.
>
> Chris.

On your behalf:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/190489

You might want to subscribe to that list, it's great.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 10-26-2008, 09:49 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/10/26 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> 2008/10/26 Chris Jeffries <chris@candm.org.uk>:
>> I wanted a function OO that I could not find.
>>
>> I wanted to do a word count of everything that was styled a particular
>> way (Academic essay word count excluding quotes and heading to be
>> precise)
>>
>> In MS Word it would be easy (Select all of this style, Count selected)
>>
>> But I couldn't find "Select all this style" in OO
>>
>> So I though - ooh a macro maybe. So I went tot the OO site to get some
>> documentation - and got lost.
>>
>> Does anyone know a good starting place with this - preferably using
>> Javascript as it is a language I know. I just need a neatly organise
>> object/function library documantation for the OO interface.
>>
>> I just failed to find anything over at OO and though soemone here might
>> just know.
>>
>> Chris.
>>

> On your behalf:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/190489
>
> You might want to subscribe to that list, it's great.

From Brian Barker on the OOo mailing list:

o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... (or Ctrl+F).
o Click More Options.
o Tick "Search for Styles".
o Select your required style in the "Search for" box. (Don't worry
about what appears in the "Replace with" box.)
o Click Find All. Everything in that style is now selected. (You
can close the Find & Replace dialogue at this point - or not, as you
wish.)
o Go to Tools | Word Count. One part of this display is for the
current selection.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/10/26 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>> 2008/10/26 Chris Jeffries <chris@candm.org.uk>:
>>> I wanted a function OO that I could not find.
>>>
>>> I wanted to do a word count of everything that was styled a particular
>>> way (Academic essay word count excluding quotes and heading to be
>>> precise)
>>>
>>> In MS Word it would be easy (Select all of this style, Count selected)
>>>
>>> But I couldn't find "Select all this style" in OO
>>>
>>> So I though - ooh a macro maybe. So I went tot the OO site to get some
>>> documentation - and got lost.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a good starting place with this - preferably using
>>> Javascript as it is a language I know. I just need a neatly organise
>>> object/function library documantation for the OO interface.
>>>
>>> I just failed to find anything over at OO and though soemone here might
>>> just know.
>>>
>>> Chris.
>>>
>> On your behalf:
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/190489
>>
>> You might want to subscribe to that list, it's great.
>>

>>From Brian Barker on the OOo mailing list:

Is that list the same as the usenet group?
NP: nothing

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM
NoOp

On 10/26/2008 08:56 AM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
[snip]

>>> On your behalf:
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/190489
>>>
>>> You might want to subscribe to that list, it's great.
>>>

>>>From Brian Barker on the OOo mailing list:
>
> Is that list the same as the usenet group?

http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
users@openoffice.org - to use usenet (Gmane) see the link under
"Newsgroup". When posting on the list, please be sure to identify that
you are using the Ubuntu'ized version of OOo as there are quite a few
differences between (U)OOo and standard OOo.