Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Alex Cockell

Default Worried when 10.04lts goes end of life

Hi all.

I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have bought both my Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with Ubuntu from Linux Emporium. i have therefore never installed Linux myself, only accepted updates and LTS upgrades as required. i now hear that the user environment has completely changed, and I risk having my machines bricked when 12.04.1 comes around... Or the learning curve completely changes. Why has this happened? I've tried reading through some opf the info on "unity" whatever that is.. And this rthing with "docks"... I've always used the Taskbar...

Does this mean that I am potentially going to have to pay out and buy new computers in order to buy this "mint"... Whatever that is? I use Citrix at work.. And have been on XP Classic-style interfaces wherever.

Or are there professionals around who can offer the changeover support? can I buy Mint preinstalled and fully supported?

or will i have to ditch my kit and buy Windows computers and going back to paying through the nose for sluggish machines?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Nothing to worry about. Ubuntu installation is very easy. If you can install windows, you can install ubuntu. You can practise installing on a virtualbox.*
As for the new gui, there is workaround to use the older gnome.*
So dont worry. Sorry for the top posting.*

나의 iPhone에서 보냄
Nov 27, 2011 4:53 PM Alex Cockell <alex@acockell.eclipse.co.uk> 작성:

Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Colin Law

On 27 November 2011 08:53, Alex Cockell <alex@acockell.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have bought both my
> Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with Ubuntu from Linux Emporium.
> i have therefore never installed Linux myself, only accepted updates and LTS
> upgrades as required. i now hear that the user environment has completely
> changed, and I risk having my machines bricked when 12.04.1 comes around...
> Or the learning curve completely changes. Why has this happened? I've tried
> reading through some opf the info on "unity" whatever that is.. And this
> rthing with "docks"... I've always used the Taskbar...

No need to panic, 10.04 will be supported till April 2013 [1]. There
is plenty of time for things to settle down before then. Also there
is no way your existing machines will be 'bricked' even then, they
will not suddenly stop working, it is just that there will not be
updates available.

In the meantime if you can pick up an old PC from somewhere then you
could easily install the current Ubuntu on it and try it out without
any danger of messing up your working machines. Then over the next 18
months you can make your mind up about what to do when the time comes.
It is possible of course to 'dual boot' one of your existing machines
by installing the latest Ubuntu on it in addition to the existing one
and you can then select which you want at boot time, but if you are
nervous about that then using a separate machine may be the way to go.
A 10GB disk and 512MB RAM is sufficient, though 1GB RAM is better.
Another possibility is to use VirtualBox on your PC to install the
latest Ubuntu in a virtual machine to try it out.

Colin

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Don't worry!
If you upgrade to 12.04 (my advice: don't do it in April but in May or
later, then the initial problems are gone) and install it as Xubuntu. It
is lighter, faster and is much more like your current desktop.

My 0.02 €.
Joep

Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Nils Kassube

Alex Cockell wrote:
> I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have bought
> both my Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with Ubuntu from
> Linux Emporium. i have therefore never installed Linux myself, only
> accepted updates and LTS upgrades as required. i now hear that the
> user environment has completely changed, and I risk having my
> machines bricked when 12.04.1 comes around...

10.04 will be supported on the desktop until 2013. Therefore you still
have one year after the release of 12.04 to decide what to use after
10.04. Anyway, your machines won't be bricked automatically.

> Or the learning curve
> completely changes.

Well, if you are not inclined to learn something new, then why did you
buy something totally different from Windows, i.e. machines with Ubuntu
preinstalled. Wasn't there also a lot to learn? IMHO the upgrade from
Windows to Ubuntu is a more challenging change than the upgrade from
Gnome2 to Unity.

> Does this mean that I am potentially going to have to pay out and buy
> new computers in order to buy this "mint"... Whatever that is? I
> use Citrix at work.. And have been on XP Classic-style interfaces
> wherever.
>
> Or are there professionals around who can offer the changeover
> support? can I buy Mint preinstalled and fully supported?

Maybe you should ask the company where you bought your current machines
if they will change them to this Mint thingy. As this list is about
Ubuntu support and not about Mint support, it is unlikely that someone
can answer a question about the availability of machines with Mint
preinstalled in 2013.

But are you sure you really don't like Unity? Maybe you should first try
it out for yourself instead of believing everything you read about it
here or elsewhere. After all you don't have to pay anything for the
trial. Just download the ISO image of the current Ubuntu version, burn
it to a CD and test it without installing anything.

Nils

Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Mike

[...]

^^^^ That is a great solution. Also, I would recommend that
you look into joining a LUG (Linux User Group) in your area.
The folks there could help you with this when the time comes.
There's nothing like having a someone sit with you and help
you to upgrade your operating system, especially if you've
never done a new installation before.

You will still have many choices when support for 10.04 LTS
ends. Try out the newest version of Ubuntu with Unity to see
if you actually like it first. If not, there's alternatives
like Xubuntu and other Linux distributions like (as you
mentioned) Linux Mint, etc...

Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Le 27/11/2011 09:53, Alex Cockell a crit :

Hi all.

I'm worried now.

Don't worry. Keep your Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. It's well supported until April
2013. Don't upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04, 11.10 or whatever. Just keep
your 10.04 LTS, which works fine. Using it here for clients on
production machines.

Around May or June 2012, you *may* consider a fresh install of Ubuntu
12.04, which will be Long Term Support until April 2017, since LTS
support will go from three years to five years on the desktop.

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu 11.10 for anyone with high blood pressure.
Unity is nice (I admit bluntly: I like it), but you have to give
Canonical some time to iron out the bugs and inconsistencies and sand
down some rough edges.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki Kovacs

7, place de l'glise - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tl. : 04 66 63 10 32

Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/11/27 Alex Cockell <alex@acockell.eclipse.co.uk>:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have bought both my
> Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with Ubuntu from Linux Emporium.
> i have therefore never installed Linux myself, only accepted updates and LTS
> upgrades as required. i now hear that the user environment has completely
> changed, and I risk having my machines bricked when 12.04.1 comes around...
> Or the learning curve completely changes. Why has this happened? I've tried
> reading through some opf the info on "unity" whatever that is.. And this
> rthing with "docks"... I've always used the Taskbar...
>
> Does this mean that I am potentially going to have to pay out and buy new
> computers in order to buy this "mint"... Whatever that is?

If you want Mint, you don't need to buy a new computer for that. Mint
is free, just like Ubuntu, and it doesn't use Unity.

As someone already said, you can install two different version of
Ubuntu side by side, but you can also install Ubuntu on a USB stick or
any kind of USB drive. That way you can try it out without affecting
your current system at all. And it's a lot faster than running it from
a Live CD, and you can install things, which you can not on a Live CD.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
"A. Kromic"

I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have
bought both my Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with
Ubuntu from Linux Emporium. i have therefore never installed
Linux myself, only accepted updates and LTS upgrades as
required. i now hear that the user environment has completely
changed, and I risk having my machines bricked when 12.04.1
comes around...

Actually _nothing_ special will happen when 12.04LTS comes around.
10.04LTS desktop will still be supported for a year, but nothing
special will happen in 2013 either. There is no reason why you
shouldn't use your machine with that OS until the machine's EOL
actually; that routinely happens with WinXP, and it especially
happened with Win98 after its EOL. This is a bit different though
because of all the included software, but you have to consider two
facts there: 1) much of the included software has become obsolete
even _now_, there won't be any new versions introduced, even while
supported; 2) most of the significant bugs will be fixed by then, so
not much problems should remain (except those bugs which have
already been fixed for newer ubuntu versions but never backported to
the old LTS). If you need newer and more secure software which
connects to the Internet (like Mozilla programs), you can always
install them from the PPA-s, most easily from the Ubuntu Tweak
program.

Another thing, "server version" will be supported until 2015, and
because desktop and server share the same base system, those
components not directly connected to the desktop use will still be
updated until then. You can even use the OS until then, even though
the desktop software will be unsupported. And other than lack of
updates, nothing bad will happen, so even though it's not quite
recommended you could still happily use that system until 2020 for
that matter. Also the OS will work as good with your hardware as it
does today.

Now, for the alternatives which you could install (perhaps even in
that period between 2013 and 2015, if you should still have the same
computer), you could try a newer Ubuntu, LTS or not (the next LTS
version would be easiest for you to upgrade to), perhaps in the
Xubuntu flavoras someone suggested, because of the classic, familiar
interface of Xfce desktop and because it's easier on the system
resources which might be significant for an older machine (you can
easily do it by installing "xubuntu-desktop" package, then chose
"Xubuntu Sesion" on login). Other alternative could be Mint like you
mentioned, you can freely download it and install, but that's much
harder to do than upgrading to a newer Ubuntu. If you know how to do
it (backup data then clean install), or you have someone else to do
it for you, then it could be an option...

For me personally, the option of choice I'd do would be the first
one - to upgrade to 12.04LTS in 2013 and use it as Xubuntu. I
actually already did something similar on my laptop, although not to
LTS - I've been using 10.04LTS Ubuntu for a year and a half, now I
use* 11.10 Xubuntu (not normally possible as a direct upgrade
though)

--
A.Kromic
-

Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/11/11 09:53, Alex Cockell wrote:

> Hi all.

> I'm worried now. In order to sidestep Windows Vista, I have bought both my
> Thinkpad R61i and Ideapad S12 preinstalled with Ubuntu from Linux Emporium.
> i have therefore never installed Linux myself, only accepted updates and LTS
> upgrades as required. i now hear that the user environment has completely
> changed, and I risk having my machines bricked when 12.04.1 comes around...

Hello Alex,

I am a casual home user and what Kromic has told is reality. Ubuntu
LTS is one of the best distributions which is easiest for home users
and still doing all the things, it is your wish either to upgrade in
2012 or 2013 but you the feel of 12.04 Ubuntu LTS would also be the
same as it is for 10.04 except for a few changes, which is intended
for any up gradation, if any bugs are there would get fixed.

So you should not worry about that.