Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Jared Norris

Default Logitech software

On 23 November 2011 00:37, Jac <jacquesf007@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for responding so quickly Mr. Norris.
>
> The logitech webcam model number is as follow: M/N-V-UAP42 and the software
> version is 10.0A for Windows dated 2006.I hope this will help.
>
> I still have along way to go to be as good as I am with Windows vs Linux.
>
> Best tregards,
>
> J. Frechette

Firstly, my apologies, I didn't realise you were originally posting to
the -owner mailing address. I have reposted this response to the main
list as the -owner address is for list problems, not for user support.
I was wondering why no one else was able to help but now I realise you
weren't even in contact with them.

My research indicates this Logitech EasyCam Chat should function "out
of the box" which means no special requirements are needed by most
users to make this camera work. Maybe someone else on the mailing list
can provide more assistance than I though.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Gilles Gravier

Jacques,

On 26/11/2011 11:33, Jared Norris wrote:
> [...]

This seems to be an old / entry level camera. This would imply that it
is using proprietary drivers, rather than the now standard USB-VC
(Video-Class) API.

Modern webcams, and modern Linux environments like Ubuntu support USB-VC
out of the box. No driver necessary. For example if you take a recent
QuickCam Pro 9000, or one of the HD Webcams, for example, they work
directly. Plug and play. Installing a simple webcam application like
"Cheese" (look for it in Synaptic or whatever you use to install
applications) will let you see images from your camera.

For cams with proprietary hardware, there are 2 options :

1) The hardware has been reverse engineered and Linux has drivers. You
are good to go. The camera should be visible. You can test with Cheese
like above for USB-VC.

2) If the hardware hasn't been reverse engineered, Logitech doesn't
provide Linux drivers and you are stuck. Better get a new camera.

Gilles.