Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default xfce weather applet

On 26-11-11 07:51, Art Edwards wrote:

I get no data displayed on the panel and the applet seems unable to find
my location. My guess is that this applet uses an unusual port. Is there
any way to change the port?

Art Edwards

Art,
I second that. I did the same and there is apparently something not quit
in order with it.
And if I may ask another question: I am in Europe ( the Netherlands) and
we use the Euro. I have the Euro sign on my keyboard (recognized as
international layout) but in gnome there was a tool where you could
assign a meta-key to use the third level keys but I couldn't find in in
xfce. I tried changing /etc/default/console-setup by setting:
XKBOPTIONS="compose:rwin" as adviced in "Ubuntu Documentation >
Community Documentation > ComposeKey", but it din't work.
I tried to change the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by adding Option
"XkbOptions" "lv3:menu_switch,compose:menu" as adviced in another
document but no luck.
Maybe somebody can give the direction how to solve this problem as it is
an xfce problem. In the standard gnome I have no problems.

Joep

Old 11-26-2011, 01:33 PM
R Kimber

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:51:25 -0700
Art Edwards wrote:

> I get no data displayed on the panel and the applet seems unable to find
> my location. My guess is that this applet uses an unusual port. Is there
> any way to change the port?

I read somewhere recently that something had changed on the website from
which the applet gets its info, and got the impression that it might be a
while before this can be fixed.

I can't remember the details, but a bit of googling ought to find them.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Art Edwards

On 11/26/2011 07:33 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:51:25 -0700
> Art Edwards wrote:
>
>> I get no data displayed on the panel and the applet seems unable to find
>> my location. My guess is that this applet uses an unusual port. Is there
>> any way to change the port?
> I read somewhere recently that something had changed on the website from
> which the applet gets its info, and got the impression that it might be a
> while before this can be fixed.
>
> I can't remember the details, but a bit of googling ought to find them.
>
> - Richard.
Thanks, Richard, for your suggestion of google. xfce has a plugin called
xfapplet that allows you to put gnome applets on an xfce panel. I now
have the gnome weather applet on the xfce desktop. Apparently many
others can be run under this. My only remaining question is whether
these applets exist in Gnome 3. Does anyone know? I'm going to ask in a
separate post.

Art Edwards

Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 26-11-11 08:38, Joep L. Blom wrote:

[...]

Answering my own question I solved it by adding the xfapplet
(xfc4-xfapplet-plugin). This plugin gives the possibility to add
Gnome-applets to a panel. The "Keyboard Accessibility Status"-applet is
the one that let you set the keyboard Preferences. Its Icon is a
wheelchair and it is missing from the xfce-settings menu as the
Accessibility menu item in xfce4-settings doesn't have this possibility.

I consider this a bug.
It also solves the weather-applet problem as the Gnome weather-applet
works OK.

Joep

Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 AM
R Kimber

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:30:58 -0700
Art Edwards wrote:

> Thanks, Richard, for your suggestion of google. xfce has a plugin called
> xfapplet that allows you to put gnome applets on an xfce panel. I now
> have the gnome weather applet on the xfce desktop. Apparently many
> others can be run under this. My only remaining question is whether
> these applets exist in Gnome 3. Does anyone know? I'm going to ask in a
> separate post.

Interesting. I can't see the xfapplet on my system, and it won't build
either because it complains that
*** The required package libpanelapplet-2.0 was not found on your system
I seem to have libpanel-applet-4-0

- Richard

Old 11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Art Edwards

On 11/27/2011 05:38 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:30:58 -0700
> Art Edwards wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Richard, for your suggestion of google. xfce has a plugin called
>> xfapplet that allows you to put gnome applets on an xfce panel. I now
>> have the gnome weather applet on the xfce desktop. Apparently many
>> others can be run under this. My only remaining question is whether
>> these applets exist in Gnome 3. Does anyone know? I'm going to ask in a
>> separate post.
> Interesting. I can't see the xfapplet on my system, and it won't build
> either because it complains that
> *** The required package libpanelapplet-2.0 was not found on your system
> I seem to have libpanel-applet-4-0
>
> - Richard
I'm running maverick. Are you?

Art Edwards

Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 06:20:10 -0700
Art Edwards wrote:

> I'm running maverick. Are you?

I've got 11.10

- Richard

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Mike Kupfer

R Kimber wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 06:20:10 -0700
> Art Edwards wrote:
>
> > I'm running maverick. Are you?
>
> I've got 11.10

xfapplet was removed for Oneiric. Here's a comment from
http://open.knome.fi/2011/11/09/canonical-community-collaboration/ that
explains what happened:

> Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit)
> November 18, 2011
>
> Just to clarify a possible misunderstanding, the xfapplet-plugin was
> removed in Debian, and Ubuntu at our request: itʼs unmaintained and it
> only supports GNOME2 applets, so it blocked the GNOME3 transition in
> Debian; in Ubuntu, gnome3 is more or less in oneiric, so it was
> removed as well

mike

Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Art Edwards

Art Edwards wrote:

I'm running maverick. Are you?

I've got 11.10

xfapplet was removed for Oneiric. Here's a comment from
http://open.knome.fi/2011/11/09/canonical-community-collaboration/ that
explains what happened:

Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit)
November 18, 2011

Just to clarify a possible misunderstanding, the xfapplet-plugin was
removed in Debian, and Ubuntu at our request: itʼs unmaintained and it
only supports GNOME2 applets, so it blocked the GNOME3 transition in
Debian; in Ubuntu, gnome3 is more or less in oneiric, so it was
removed as well

mike

Who is the we in that post. As I read the thread, it seems
that Cannonical is trying to force the use of gnome 3 straight-up.

It would also help our developers a lot if they knew something is going to
change in advance. For example, we found only today that the Xfce xfapplet
*plugin is removed from Oneiric via our users, not Martin Pitt, the committer.
We donʼt understand why Xfce packages are removed, since this applet clearly
isnʼt visible in GNOME, and doesnʼt affect GNOME any way. What we definitely
donʼt understand is why we were not informed about this, even if it was a
necessary thing to do (which it clearly isnʼt, for GNOME).

It's as if Cannonical wants to make it difficult to avoid their new
interface. So, a couple of questions arise. 1. Does gnome 3 have
applets? I don't care what interface they run through. To be
specific, does it have a weather applet somewhere on the desktop? 2.
If the answer to 1 was yes, is the code still open source, meaning
that all can use and modify it? 3. If Xfce were able to get a new
version of xfapplet that could run this through an xfce panel, would
Cannonical again try to block its use by removing it from the
repository?

Art Edwards

Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Mike Kupfer

Art Edwards wrote:

> >> Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit)
> >> November 18, 2011
> >>
> >> Just to clarify a possible misunderstanding, the xfapplet-plugin was
> >> removed in Debian, and Ubuntu at our request: itΒʼs unmaintained and it
> >> only supports GNOME2 applets, so it blocked the GNOME3 transition in
> >> Debian; in Ubuntu, gnome3 is more or less in oneiric, so it was
> >> removed as well
> > mike
> >
> Who is the /we /in that post.

I don't know. I assumed it was either the Xubuntu team or the xfce
devs, but you could ask Lionel for clarification[1].

> It's as if Cannonical wants to make it difficult to avoid their new
> interface.

I suspect it's more a question of whether xfapplet would still have been
useful if left in Oneiric.

mike

Footnotes:
[1] Googling gives me http://lionel.lefolgoc.net/, which has contact