Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Colin Law

Default xfce weather applet

On 28 November 2011 15:30, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running
>
> 2. Install a hex editor.
>
> 3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
> plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
> directly with the hex editor.
>
> 4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
> 3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239
>
> 5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583
>
> * IMPORTANT! Only replace the number portions. The "." between the
> number set is not a period, but the hex editor's representation of non-
> displayable characters. In this case, the "."'s are null (hex 00)
> characters. Just move the cursor over them.

That does not make sense to me, if you are using a hex editor then
null should appear as 00. If it appears as a dot then that suggests
the other digits are actually characters not hex data.

Colin

Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:43:36 +0100
Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Answering my own question I solved it by adding the xfapplet
> (xfc4-xfapplet-plugin). This plugin gives the possibility to add

Synaptic doesn't show xfc4-xfapplet-plugin on 11.10

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM
sktsee

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:36:00 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On 28 November 2011 15:30, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running
>>
>> 2. Install a hex editor.
>>
>> 3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
>> plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
>> directly with the hex editor.
>>
>> 4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
>> 3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239
>>
>> 5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583
>>
>> * IMPORTANT! Only replace the number portions. The "." between the
>> number set is not a period, but the hex editor's representation of non-
>> displayable characters. In this case, the "."'s are null (hex 00)
>> characters. Just move the cursor over them.
>
> That does not make sense to me, if you are using a hex editor then null
> should appear as 00. If it appears as a dot then that suggests the
> other digits are actually characters not hex data.
>
> Colin

It does appear as 00 when you use the hex view, but I was referring to
how the editor represents non-displayable characters in ASCII mode, which
easier to edit with. That's why I said to search for the *text* 3c4c...
Most hex editors (every one that I've tried, at least) have hex+ASCII
edit window. If you were search for a hex string, then you'd be search
for 33 63 34 63 64 (3c4cd). I warned about the period in case someone
just copy-n-pasted the key directly into their editor. That won't work.

--
sktsee

Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM
sktsee

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:15:34 -0800, Steve Grace wrote:

> On 11/28/2011 07:30 AM, sktsee wrote:
>
>>> Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather
>>> applet in Xubuntu 11.10?
>
>> 1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running
>>
>> 2. Install a hex editor.
>>
>> 3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
>> plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
>> directly with the hex editor.
>>
>> 4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
>> 3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239
>>
>> 5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583
>
> I was somewhat interested in fixing this even though it's not a big deal
> for me. Unfortunately, my binary doesn't contain the hex string listed
> (it doesn't have even have the first two bytes "3c4c" together
> anywhere). I'm using Xubuntu 11.10 and am sure I have the most current
> version (I even purged the xfce4-weather-plugin package and reinstalled
> it to make sure). The version I (re-)installed is 0.7.4-1.
>
> Anyway, I don't care that much about fixing the issue; I just think it's
> curious that the fix works for some people.

Not sure what's happening. I just downloaded the package from universe
repo at archive.ubuntu.com, extracted xfce4-weather-plugin and ran
strings on it:

$ strings xfce4-weather-plugin |grep 3c4c
3c4cd39ee5dec84f

I did that for the maverick version (0.7.3-3build1) as well, and it's
also there.

In addition, the source code for both versions have "weather.h" that
define the following constants with those values:

#define PARTNER_ID "1121946239"
#define LICENSE_KEY "3c4cd39ee5dec84f"

Link to universe repo for source and deb packages
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/x/xfce4-weather-plugin/

Source code path to weather.h
/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.7.4/panel-plugin/weather.h

--
sktsee

Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:30:19 +0000 (UTC)
sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:19:43 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:14:39 -0800
> > Mike Kupfer wrote:
> >
> >> xfapplet was removed for Oneiric. Here's a comment from
> >> http://open.knome.fi/2011/11/09/canonical-community-collaboration/
> >> that explains what happened:
> >
> > Thanks for that explanation.
> >
> > Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather
> > applet in Xubuntu 11.10?
> >

> Yes.
>
> 1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running

All this may no longer be necessary; a fixed applet showed up in the
Debian repositories this morning. It shouldn't be long until it hits
Ubuntu, too.

...maybe, since it was already removed from Obsequious Orangatan.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM
R Kimber

sktsee wrote:

> So far, it's working, but I have no idea how long this workaround will
> last, or what, if any, legal ramifications are with using a different
> weather.com API license key.

Yes, it's working for me too. Many thanks for the info.

- Richard.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
sktsee

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:38:14 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

[snip]

> All this may no longer be necessary; a fixed applet showed up in the
> Debian repositories this morning. It shouldn't be long until it hits
> Ubuntu, too.
>
> ...maybe, since it was already removed from Obsequious Orangatan.

Right, it's already been patched for Precise, but I'm not sure if, or
when, it will get to the other releases.

--
sktsee

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Steve Grace

On 11/29/2011 06:58 AM, sktsee wrote:

[...]

The "strings" command worked fine for me and pointed to the solution.
The hex editors I used (bless and ghex) were searching for hex bytes.
The text in question is actually two literal strings. I searched for "33
63 34 63" (the first four bytes of the string in hex) and found the
strings with no problem. I then overwrote them with the new info, and
Weather Plugin now works!

Thanks.