FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default xfce weather applet

hi,
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:04:48 -0700
Art Edwards <edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:

>
> >> Just to clarify a possible misunderstanding, the xfapplet-plugin
> >> was removed in Debian, and Ubuntu at our request: it’s
> >> unmaintained and it only supports GNOME2 applets, so it blocked
> >> the GNOME3 transition in Debian; in Ubuntu, gnome3 is more or less
> >> in oneiric, so it was removed as well
> > mike
> >
> Who is the /we /in that post. As I read the thread, it seems that
> Cannonical is trying to force the use of gnome 3 straight-up.
>
thats a pretty unfair statement ... gnome upstream decided to make the
v3 libs incompatible with the v2 ones, most packages that arent ported
to v3 cant even build from source (the above applet is among them).
there is *nothing* canonical can do. to my knowledge lionel never
worked for canonical and speaks for the xubuntu developer community
only ... please stop that canonical conspiracy nonsense, canonical has
nothing to do with upstream decisions here and can only react on a
technical level to them. if you want to know about such changes in
advance, read the respective upstream lists, blogs or blog aggregators
(planet.gnome.org for example). such things are also usually discussed
between upstream community and ubuntu developer community at UDS which
is publically held and where you can participate remotely via voip,
video streams, irc, collaborative editors etc ...

there was nothing secret about this change nor was canonical involved
in any of the gnome decisions.

ciao
oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM
R Kimber
 
Default xfce weather applet

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:14:39 -0800
Mike Kupfer wrote:

> xfapplet was removed for Oneiric. Here's a comment from
> http://open.knome.fi/2011/11/09/canonical-community-collaboration/ that
> explains what happened:

Thanks for that explanation.

Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather applet in
Xubuntu 11.10?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Art Edwards
 
Default xfce weather applet

On 11/28/2011 04:19 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:04:48 -0700
> Art Edwards <edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:
>
>>>> Just to clarify a possible misunderstanding, the xfapplet-plugin
>>>> was removed in Debian, and Ubuntu at our request: it’s
>>>> unmaintained and it only supports GNOME2 applets, so it blocked
>>>> the GNOME3 transition in Debian; in Ubuntu, gnome3 is more or less
>>>> in oneiric, so it was removed as well
>>> mike
>>>
>> Who is the /we /in that post. As I read the thread, it seems that
>> Cannonical is trying to force the use of gnome 3 straight-up.
>>
> thats a pretty unfair statement ... gnome upstream decided to make the
> v3 libs incompatible with the v2 ones, most packages that arent ported
> to v3 cant even build from source (the above applet is among them).
> there is *nothing* canonical can do. to my knowledge lionel never
> worked for canonical and speaks for the xubuntu developer community
> only ... please stop that canonical conspiracy nonsense, canonical has
> nothing to do with upstream decisions here and can only react on a
> technical level to them. if you want to know about such changes in
> advance, read the respective upstream lists, blogs or blog aggregators
> (planet.gnome.org for example). such things are also usually discussed
> between upstream community and ubuntu developer community at UDS which
> is publically held and where you can participate remotely via voip,
> video streams, irc, collaborative editors etc ...
>
> there was nothing secret about this change nor was canonical involved
> in any of the gnome decisions.
>
> ciao
> oli
Thank you for explaining that. After I posted that, I realized xfapplet
may depend on gnome 2, so ... I did ask some other specific questions in
the post.

Is there a weather applet (and others) in gnome 3?

I'm guessing that if there is that xfce could try to make xfapplet
compatible with those, although, absent a gnome panel, the rewrite might
be more complicated. However, we have ~18 months until the libraries go
away in natty.

Art Edwards

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Art Edwards
 
Default xfce weather applet

On 11/28/2011 06:19 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:14:39 -0800
> Mike Kupfer wrote:
>
>> xfapplet was removed for Oneiric. Here's a comment from
>> http://open.knome.fi/2011/11/09/canonical-community-collaboration/ that
>> explains what happened:
> Thanks for that explanation.
>
> Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather applet in
> Xubuntu 11.10?
>
> - Richard.
The question I have asked is whether there is an analogous weather
applet in gnome 3. I didn't see panels when I spent the day on my wife's
machine, so if there are applets, the analogy will be less direct. For
the first time, I'm just slightly interested in looking at source code
for desktop applications.

Art Edwards

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
sktsee
 
Default xfce weather applet

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:19:43 +0000, R Kimber wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:14:39 -0800
> Mike Kupfer wrote:
>
>> xfapplet was removed for Oneiric. Here's a comment from
>> http://open.knome.fi/2011/11/09/canonical-community-collaboration/ that
>> explains what happened:
>
> Thanks for that explanation.
>
> Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather applet
> in Xubuntu 11.10?
>

Yes.

1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running

2. Install a hex editor.

3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
directly with the hex editor.

4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239

5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583

IMPORTANT! Only replace the number portions. The "." between the
number set is not a period, but the hex editor's representation of non-
displayable characters. In this case, the "."'s are null (hex 00)
characters. Just move the cursor over them.

6. save file and re-add applet to panel.

The workaround above was derived from this xfce bug report:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8105

and this Archlinux patch to xfce4-weather-plugin
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26815

So far, it's working, but I have no idea how long this workaround will
last, or what, if any, legal ramifications are with using a different
weather.com API license key.

--
sktsee


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
NoOp
 
Default xfce weather applet

On 11/25/2011 10:51 PM, Art Edwards wrote:
> I get no data displayed on the panel and the applet seems unable to find
> my location. My guess is that this applet uses an unusual port. Is there
> any way to change the port?
>
> Art Edwards
>

Perhaps you may want to join this bug report:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-weather-plugin/+bug/888285>
[xfce4-weather-plugin stopped updating and displaying weather data]

I wonder if the code for this could be modified to use in xfce?
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/indicator-weather
That applet uses Google or Yahoo weather as the data source.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Mike Kupfer
 
Default xfce weather applet

Art Edwards wrote:

> On 11/28/2011 06:19 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> > Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather applet in
> > Xubuntu 11.10?
[...]
> The question I have asked is whether there is an analogous weather
> applet in gnome 3.

A search for "weather" with Synaptic shows a weather indicator for
11.10. I don't know how well it works, though.

If you're willing to go to a web page, weather.com and wunderground.com
can provide current conditions (international).

mike


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default xfce weather applet

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:30:52 -0800
Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer@acm.org> wrote:

> Art Edwards wrote:
>
> > On 11/28/2011 06:19 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> > > Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather
> > > applet in Xubuntu 11.10?
> [...]
> > The question I have asked is whether there is an analogous weather
> > applet in gnome 3.
>
> A search for "weather" with Synaptic shows a weather indicator for
> 11.10. I don't know how well it works, though.
>
> If you're willing to go to a web page, weather.com and
> wunderground.com can provide current conditions (international).
>
> mike
>
Also OT to the specific thrust of the thread; is anyone using
Cairo-dock? It has a marvelous weather plugin.

...and it works cross-DE!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Steve Grace
 
Default xfce weather applet

On 11/28/2011 07:30 AM, sktsee wrote:


Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather applet
in Xubuntu 11.10?



1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running

2. Install a hex editor.

3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
directly with the hex editor.

4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239

5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583


I was somewhat interested in fixing this even though it's not a big deal
for me. Unfortunately, my binary doesn't contain the hex string listed
(it doesn't have even have the first two bytes "3c4c" together
anywhere). I'm using Xubuntu 11.10 and am sure I have the most current
version (I even purged the xfce4-weather-plugin package and reinstalled
it to make sure). The version I (re-)installed is 0.7.4-1.


Anyway, I don't care that much about fixing the issue; I just think it's
curious that the fix works for some people.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Art Edwards
 
Default xfce weather applet

On 11/28/2011 11:15 PM, Steve Grace wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 07:30 AM, sktsee wrote:
>
>>> Do you happen to know if there's any way to get a working weather
>>> applet
>>> in Xubuntu 11.10?
>
>> 1. Remove the weather applet from the panel if it is running
>>
>> 2. Install a hex editor.
>>
>> 3. make a copy for backup of /usr/lib/xfce4-weather-plugin/xfce4/panel-
>> plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin because you'll be editing the binary
>> directly with the hex editor.
>>
>> 4. As root, open the file and search for the following text:
>> 3c4cd39ee5dec84f.1121946239
>>
>> 5. Replace that set with 4128909340a9b2fc.1003666583
>
> I was somewhat interested in fixing this even though it's not a big
> deal for me. Unfortunately, my binary doesn't contain the hex string
> listed (it doesn't have even have the first two bytes "3c4c" together
> anywhere). I'm using Xubuntu 11.10 and am sure I have the most current
> version (I even purged the xfce4-weather-plugin package and
> reinstalled it to make sure). The version I (re-)installed is 0.7.4-1.
>
> Anyway, I don't care that much about fixing the issue; I just think
> it's curious that the fix works for some people.
>
I also tried the fix, although I'm using maverick. I also could not find
3c4c. Oh well. The U. S. weather service has its own xml streams. I
assume other weather services do as well. It could be some work, but if
these were used, the applet would not have any legal problems.

Art Edwards





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org