-   -   using other icons in xfce (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/602957-using-other-icons-xfce.html)

Art Edwards 11-26-2011 04:44 AM

using other icons in xfce

When installing launchers onto xfce panels, I only have obvious access
to one repository of icons, while I know there are many in
/usr/share/icons. Does anyone know how to access those?

Art Edwards

"Cybe R. Wizard" 11-26-2011 05:12 AM

using other icons in xfce

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:44:53 -0700
Art Edwards <edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:

> When installing launchers onto xfce panels, I only have obvious access
> to one repository of icons, while I know there are many in
> /usr/share/icons. Does anyone know how to access those?
>
> Art Edwards

How are you getting t that point? Here's how I do it:
Add the launcher and add a program to launch to it.
Right-click it and select, "Properties."
That will show the program you wish the launcher to launch in a
launcher window.
Double-click that program or select the paper-and-pencil icon which will
open another window called, "edit launcher."
There is an icon of the program beside the label, "Icon."
Click it.
That opens, "select an icon," with a drop-down list and a bunch of
icons.
The drop-down list will have a wider selection of options if everything
is working well to this point.

I hope this helps. I just did it and was pleased to see that I can
add my own image files to use as icons, too.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Art Edwards 11-26-2011 05:30 AM

using other icons in xfce

On 11/25/2011 11:12 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:44:53 -0700
> Art Edwards <edwardsa@icantbelieveimdoingthis.com> wrote:
>
>> When installing launchers onto xfce panels, I only have obvious access
>> to one repository of icons, while I know there are many in
>> /usr/share/icons. Does anyone know how to access those?
>>
>> Art Edwards
>>
> How are you getting t that point? Here's how I do it:
> Add the launcher and add a program to launch to it.
> Right-click it and select, "Properties."
> That will show the program you wish the launcher to launch in a
> launcher window.
> Double-click that program or select the paper-and-pencil icon which will
> open another window called, "edit launcher."
> There is an icon of the program beside the label, "Icon."
> Click it.
> That opens, "select an icon," with a drop-down list and a bunch of
> icons.
> The drop-down list will have a wider selection of options if everything
> is working well to this point.
>
> I hope this helps. I just did it and was pleased to see that I can
> add my own image files to use as icons, too.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
That was also successful, as at the bottom of the list there is a
category image files. Also, it turns out that we can use the
gnome-search-tool from the xfce panel.

Again, thanks.

Art Edwards