-   -   "Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/602868-enable-wireless-gray-ubuntu-11-10-dell-vostro-1520-a.html)

Peng Yu 11-25-2011 11:03 PM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

Hi,

I installed ubuntu 11.10 on Dell Vostro 1520. When I click on the up
and down arrows on the top bar, I see "Enable Wireless" menu item is
gray. Is it because the wireless network card is not properly
recognized by ubuntu? Does anybody know how to fix the problem?

Peng

Peng Yu 11-25-2011 11:17 PM

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed ubuntu 11.10 on Dell Vostro 1520. When I click on the up
> and down arrows on the top bar, I see "Enable Wireless" menu item is
> gray. Is it because the wireless network card is not properly
> recognized by ubuntu? Does anybody know how to fix the problem?

I have the following output of these commands.

~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 03
serial: 00:24:e8:9c:24:44
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list
rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt
1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169
driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
ip=192.168.1.116 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII
speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:47 ioport:4000(size=256)
memory:fe004000-fe004fff memory:fe000000-fe003fff
memory:fe020000-fe03ffff
*-network DISABLED
product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0e:00.0
logical name: eth2
version: 01
serial: 00:24:2c:a1:1a:30
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet
physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0
driverversion=5.100.82.38 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE
802.11bg
resources: irq:18 memory:f6000000-f6003fff

~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth2 IEEE 802.11 Access Point: Not-Associated
Link Quality:5 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

Peng

Tab Gilbert 11-26-2011 12:53 AM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

* * * product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY

I am no expert but I am pretty sure you need to install

--fwcutter is a tool which can extract firmware from various source files. It's written for BCM43xx driver files

which is available in the Ubuntu Software Center.

tab

Pete 11-26-2011 04:46 PM

<mailto:pengyu.ut@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com
<mailto:pengyu.ut@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed ubuntu 11.10 on Dell Vostro 1520. When I click on the up
> and down arrows on the top bar, I see "Enable Wireless" menu item is
> gray. Is it because the wireless network card is not properly
> recognized by ubuntu? Does anybody know how to fix the problem?

I have the following output of these commands.

~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 03
serial: 00:24:e8:9c:24:44
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list
rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt
1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169
driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
ip=192.168.1.116 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII
speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:47 ioport:4000(size=256)
memory:fe004000-fe004fff memory:fe000000-fe003fff
memory:fe020000-fe03ffff
*-network DISABLED
product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0e:00.0
logical name: eth2
version: 01
serial: 00:24:2c:a1:1a:30
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet
physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0
driverversion=5.100.82.38 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE
802.11bg
resources: irq:18 memory:f6000000-f6003fff

~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth2 IEEE 802.11 Access Point: Not-Associated
Link Quality:5 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

Peng

At the risk of stating the obvious (it's happened to me!) check there is
no hardware switch to disable wireless (usually on laptops and a very
small switch)

grandmother sucking eggs springs to mind but if you don’t ask......

Regards

Pete

Peng Yu 11-27-2011 02:57 AM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

> At the risk of stating the obvious (it's happened to me!) check there is no
> hardware switch to disable wireless (usually on laptops and a very small
> switch)

I have made sure that the switch is on.

Peng

Mark Paskal 11-27-2011 11:52 AM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

On my old dell I almost always had to install the driver through synaptic after hooking up the laptop to a wired connection. A package you might try is bcmwl-kernel-source.

Peng Yu 11-27-2011 03:29 PM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

> On my old dell I almost always had to install the driver through synaptic
> after hooking up the laptop to a wired connection. A package you might try
> is bcmwl-kernel-source.

I have installed bcmwl-kernel-source. "Enable Wireless" is still gray.
What did you do last time to resolve the issue?

Peng

Mark Paskal 11-29-2011 03:09 PM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

If it doesn't work after a restart of the machine, you should open System Settings via the cog menu on the top right and select 'Additional Drivers.' Assuming we have similar dells you should have an option in there for the broadcom-sta driver, which you can select and click 'Activate.'

Peng Yu 11-29-2011 10:10 PM

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Mark Paskal <markpaskal@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it doesn't work after a restart of the machine, you should open System
> Settings via the cog menu on the top right and select 'Additional Drivers.'
> Assuming we have similar dells you should have an option in there for the
> broadcom-sta driver, which you can select and click 'Activate.'

It was already enabled.

The problem must be due to some other factors.

Peng

James Tappin 11-30-2011 01:46 PM

"Enable Wireless" is gray on ubuntu 11.10 (Dell Vostro 1520)

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:10:18 -0600
Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:

PY> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Mark Paskal <markpaskal@gmail.com>
PY> wrote:
PY> > If it doesn't work after a restart of the machine, you should open
PY> > System Settings via the cog menu on the top right and select
PY> > 'Additional Drivers.' Assuming we have similar dells you should
PY> > have an option in there for the broadcom-sta driver, which you can
PY> > select and click 'Activate.'
PY>
PY> It was already enabled.
PY>
PY> The problem must be due to some other factors.

It sounds like the card is hard blocked. To check this, run:
rfkill list

The Hard blocked state ought to be toggled by the hardware switch (or
Fn-<key> combination). I've not seen this fail in *buntu, but I do see
the same issue with an Intel wifi card when running Pardus.
Unfortunately I don't know of a way to fix the problem if the switch
doesn't do the job. (Possibly with Broadcom you need to change to the
legacy driver or from it).