-   -   I want to do network management on the command line (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/602418-i-want-do-network-management-command-line.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 11-24-2011 07:44 PM

I want to do network management on the command line

Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
the network setup. As it is, the GUI interface through
System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
it's error-prone. I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.

I know some commands that do the trick. The problem is that the
network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so. I
tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.

Help?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Colin Law 11-24-2011 08:08 PM

On 24 November 2011 20:44, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
> the network setup. *As it is, the GUI interface through
> System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
> it's error-prone. *I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
> could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.
>
> I know some commands that do the trick. *The problem is that the
> network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so. *I
> tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
> that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
> configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.

I think you can just uninstall network manager if you want to remove
it from the equation. I have certainly done that in order to install
wicd and my system did not fall apart. Though the first time I did it
I forgot to download wicd before removing NM which was a bit
embarrassing. For reference I believe it is no longer necessary to
remove NM to install wicd, but that is not relevant to your problem.

Colin

Rashkae 11-24-2011 10:48 PM

I want to do network management on the command line

Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
the network setup. As it is, the GUI interface through
System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
it's error-prone. I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.

I know some commands that do the trick. The problem is that the
network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so. I
tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.

Help?

Ubuntu comes with 2 network systems, Network Manager, and good ol
fashioned Debian networking. There is a CLI/console interface to
network manager, but I think what you really want is the classic debian
networking. Therefore either uninsall Network Manager or stop the
service from starting. (You would have to edit the network manager
script in /etc/init to stop it from starting automatically.)

Once network manager is tamed, then you can make the appropriate entries
in /etc/network/interfaces (see man interfaces.)

Colin Watson 11-25-2011 08:32 AM

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:44:36PM -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
> the network setup. As it is, the GUI interface through
> System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
> it's error-prone. I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
> could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.
>
> I know some commands that do the trick. The problem is that the
> network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so.

If network-manager is basically OK for you but you just need a way to
script it, then 'nmcli' may be helpful.

nmcli (1) - command-line tool for controlling NetworkManager

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

"Kevin O'Gorman" 11-25-2011 02:25 PM

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/2011 03:44 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
>> the network setup. *As it is, the GUI interface through
>> System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
>> it's error-prone. *I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
>> could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.
>>
>> I know some commands that do the trick. *The problem is that the
>> network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so. *I
>> tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
>> that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
>> configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.
>>
>> Help?
>>

> Ubuntu comes with 2 network systems, Network Manager, and good ol fashioned
> Debian networking. *There is a CLI/console interface to network manager, but
> I think what you really want is the classic debian networking. *Therefore
> either uninsall Network Manager or stop the service from starting. *(You
> would have to edit the network manager script in /etc/init to stop it from
> starting automatically.)
>
> Once network manager is tamed, then you can make the appropriate entries in
> /etc/network/interfaces (see man interfaces.)

My usual CLI tools are ifconfig and route. This can establish the
simple setup I need.

My problem is usually with having my changes reversed. Since I intend
to use this
in a live disk, changing files is not usually all that helpful and
it's too late to stop
any automated services from starting.

I'll have to check, but I seem to recall that I either was unable to
identify the service
to stop, or what I stopped was the wrong thing (because my setup got cancelled
anyway).

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

sam tygier 11-26-2011 08:44 AM

I want to do network management on the command line

Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
the network setup. As it is, the GUI interface through
System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
it's error-prone. I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.

I know some commands that do the trick. The problem is that the
network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so. I
tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.

Help?

sudo stop network-manager

sam