-   -   what checking can i do in recovery mode before trying to finish booting? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/602250-what-checking-can-i-do-recovery-mode-before-trying-finish-booting.html)

"Robert P. J. Day" 11-24-2011 01:54 PM

what checking can i do in recovery mode before trying to finish booting?

the backstory: in a fit of bad judgment yesterday, i ran
"do-release-upgrade" on my 11.04 system, and ended up in this situation:

http://resalxh.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/upgrading-to-ubuntu-11-10-on-dell-latitude-e6400/

after following various bits of advice gleaned from google, and
booting *many* times from a rescue CD, i am finally at the point where
i managed to boot one of my old kernels to recovery mode.

so i'm at a root prompt, and "runlevel" tells me "N S", which is
precisely what i expect at this point. given that it's taken me all
morning just to get to a recovery prompt, i'm terrified of doing a
reboot and putting myself back where i was before.

so while i'm at the recovery prompt, what are some things i can run
to just validate the sanity of the current system, and which command
would i use to *continue* the boot process to get me to my desktop?

as i said, i'm scared to do anything that would cost me this root
prompt that's taken this long to get to.

rday