-   -   disk utility benchmarking problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/602235-disk-utility-benchmarking-problems.html)

Alan McKay 11-24-2011 12:55 PM

disk utility benchmarking problems

Hey folks,

I am running 11.04 and go into the disk utility and select my USB
drive because I want to run a benchmark on it with the benchmarking
feature of the disk util.

At first it told me the disk had to have no partitions so I wiped them
and tried again.

Now it says it fails because "the disk seems to have usage raid -
write benchmarking requires the disk to be completely empty"

So I google that and check this list. In google I found the same
problem and they fixed it by using dd to wipe the MBR

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

So I tried that and still get the same error. Even if I write zeros
for a much longer time than just count=1

Any ideas?

thanks,
-Alan

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

"compdoc" 11-24-2011 04:02 PM

disk utility benchmarking problems

>At first it told me the disk had to have no partitions so I wiped them and
tried again.

Wiped them how? Gparted is a good way to delete or add partitions, etc.

Are you trying to run the read-only or the read/write benchmark test?

Marius Gedminas 11-24-2011 07:06 PM

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:55:08AM -0500, Alan McKay wrote:
> I am running 11.04 and go into the disk utility and select my USB
> drive because I want to run a benchmark on it with the benchmarking
> feature of the disk util.
>
> At first it told me the disk had to have no partitions so I wiped them
> and tried again.
>
> Now it says it fails because "the disk seems to have usage raid -
> write benchmarking requires the disk to be completely empty"
>
> So I google that and check this list. In google I found the same
> problem and they fixed it by using dd to wipe the MBR
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
>
> So I tried that and still get the same error. Even if I write zeros
> for a much longer time than just count=1

I think the RAID metadata lives somewhere near the end of the device, not at the
beginning.

Try mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb

Marius Gedminas
--
We'll show a small example here with one user calling another. (Under
international treaties describing technical papers these users must be called