Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
squareyes

Default Grub legacy - Grub 2 Problem Solved

On 24/11/11 05:30, NoOp wrote:

On 11/22/2011 10:32 PM, squareyes wrote:

On 17/11/11 21:54, squareyes wrote:

Hi,
am having problems removing an external drive with 11.04 installed
My system is running 10.04 , which was installed via Update manager,
and has Grub legacy installed as I have a menu.1st file.
My problem is that there is no mention of 11.04 in the menu.1st file.
so cannot remove 11.04 from the Grub boot menu. Machine will not boot
with the external
drive disconnected.
My question - would installing Grub2 on my 10.04 system give a file I
can edit to remove this external drive??
and would it present me with a lot of aggravation if I did install
Grub2..
Many thanks in advance.
Winton

Re-posting - I have now installed Grub2, and tried commenting ( #) out
unwanted entries, in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
saved altered file and sudo update-grub. but still cannot boot with
external drive unplugged.
Do I have to do a clean install of everything to get rid of the external
drive?
Any help will be very welcome, getting to the end of my tether here.
Been in the Grub archives but can't
find anything relevant.
Many thanks in advance.
Winton

Reinstall grub to the 10.04 drive. The problem is that grub is currently
on the 11.04 drive. See:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling_GRUB2
easiest method (for me):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Copy_LiveCD_Files

Problem solved,
Boot repair very effective.
many thanks, would consider giving you my first born,
but am 70 and it hasn't happened yet, but you never know.

Many thanks
Winton