Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Nils Kassube

Default Can't install (lost Admin-password)

Tom Rausner wrote:
> By accident the admin password to the authkey on
> my wifes computer has been changed, and I don't
> know into what.
>
> How can I get around to change it to something
> known, without knowing what it is now ?

I think, this is what you're looking for:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>

Nils

Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Tom Rausner

ons, 23 11 2011 kl. 23:44 +0100, skrev Nils Kassube:
> Tom Rausner wrote:
> > By accident the admin password to the authkey on
> > my wifes computer has been changed, and I don't
> > know into what.
> >
> > How can I get around to change it to something
> > known, without knowing what it is now ?
>
> I think, this is what you're looking for:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>
>

> Nils

Thanks a bounch for the reply, but it doesn't work;

"The standard way" gives me an error when I type in a new password;

error manipulating the authentificationtoken
(my translation from danish).

"The other way" and "The other way lucid" (I tried that one too) gives
this message;

bash: cannot set terminal group (-1): inapropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell
root@(none):/#

--
Tom Rausner
tom@rausner.dk ICQ:276707843 www.tomtech.dk

Old 11-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 03:13:17PM +0100, Tom Rausner wrote:
> ons, 23 11 2011 kl. 23:44 +0100, skrev Nils Kassube:
> > Tom Rausner wrote:
> > > By accident the admin password to the authkey on
> > > my wifes computer has been changed, and I don't
> > > know into what.

(I don't know what "password to the authkey" means.)

> > > How can I get around to change it to something
> > > known, without knowing what it is now ?
> >
> > I think, this is what you're looking for:
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>
>
> Thanks a bounch for the reply, but it doesn't work;
>
> "The standard way" gives me an error when I type in a new password;
>
> error manipulating the authentificationtoken
> (my translation from danish).

Which user account's password did you try to change? root?

Incidentally, if you want to see an English description, use

LC_ALL=C passwd <username>

> "The other way" and "The other way lucid" (I tried that one too) gives
> this message;
>
> bash: cannot set terminal group (-1): inapropriate ioctl for device
> bash: no job control in this shell
> root@(none):/#

Interesting, but probably should not matter.

I'm looking at the instructions and wondering if init=/bin/bash will
suffice in the presence of an initramfs. You can't change any passwords
from an initramfs shell when the real root partition is not yet mounted.
But if you can boot into rescue mode then this is irrelevant.

Marius Gedminas
--
This is, or so I'm told, a classic book. I can see why. It is long and it
requires a great effort to finish it. If you go through a great effort to

Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Tom Rausner

tor, 24 11 2011 kl. 22:18 +0200, skrev Marius Gedminas:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 03:13:17PM +0100, Tom Rausner wrote:
> > ons, 23 11 2011 kl. 23:44 +0100, skrev Nils Kassube:
>
> (I don't know what "password to the authkey" means.)

The keyring you have to unlock to be able to install software.

> > > I think, this is what you're looking for:
> > > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>
> >
> > Thanks a bounch for the reply, but it doesn't work;
> >
> > "The standard way" gives me an error when I type in a new password;
> >
> > error manipulating the authentificationtoken
> > (my translation from danish).
>
> Which user account's password did you try to change? root?

No, my wifes (think I made an error there...)

> Incidentally, if you want to see an English description, use
>
> LC_ALL=C passwd <username>
>
> > "The other way" and "The other way lucid" (I tried that one too) gives
> > this message;
> >
> > bash: cannot set terminal group (-1): inapropriate ioctl for device
> > bash: no job control in this shell
> > root@(none):/#
>
> Interesting, but probably should not matter.

Sure? anyways I can't get on from there...

> I'm looking at the instructions and wondering if init=/bin/bash will
> suffice in the presence of an initramfs. You can't change any passwords
> from an initramfs shell when the real root partition is not yet mounted.
> But if you can boot into rescue mode then this is irrelevant.

I've managed to get rescue mode working. Will try it tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Tom Rausner

Hi, out there.

> > > "The standard way" gives me an error when I type in a new password;
> > >
> > > error manipulating the authentificationtoken
> > > (my translation from danish).

I stil get this when I try to get in from rescue mode, so I went back
to "The Standard Way", rearranged the lines of the kernel a little
and tried again ->SUCCES(almost) I've got the root password changed BUT
it only works in CLI. It's still impossible to install anything using
the GUI. Actually I can live with that (I usually prefer working in CLI)
but I would like to know exactly what went wrong between GUI and CLI ?
Any wisdom to share, anybody ?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Colin Law

On 25 November 2011 16:38, Tom Rausner <tom@rausner.dk> wrote:
> Hi, out there.

> I stil get this when I try to get in *from rescue mode, so I went back
> to "The Standard Way", rearranged the lines of the kernel a little
> and tried again ->SUCCES(almost) I've got the root password changed BUT
> it only works in CLI. It's still impossible to install anything using
> the GUI. Actually I can live with that (I usually prefer working in CLI)
> but I would like to know exactly what went wrong between GUI and CLI ?
> Any wisdom to share, anybody ?

The password you have to enter when installing s/w is the password of
the current user. Having managed to set up a root password then you
need to set the password of the actual user using the passwd command.

Colin

Old 11-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 25 11 2011 kl. 16:59 +0000, skrev Colin Law:
> On 25 November 2011 16:38, Tom Rausner <tom@rausner.dk> wrote:
> > Hi, out there.

> > I stil get this when I try to get in from rescue mode, so I went back
> > to "The Standard Way", rearranged the lines of the kernel a little
> > and tried again ->SUCCES(almost) I've got the root password changed BUT
> > it only works in CLI. It's still impossible to install anything using
> > the GUI. Actually I can live with that (I usually prefer working in CLI)
> > but I would like to know exactly what went wrong between GUI and CLI ?
> > Any wisdom to share, anybody ?
>
> The password you have to enter when installing s/w is the password of
> the current user. Having managed to set up a root password then you
> need to set the password of the actual user using the passwd command.
>
> Colin

OK, I'll just do that. Thanx a lot.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Tom Rausner

Hi again, again...

> fre, 25 11 2011 kl. 16:59 +0000, skrev Colin Law:

> > The password you have to enter when installing s/w is the password of
> > the current user. Having managed to set up a root password then you
> > need to set the password of the actual user using the passwd command.
> >
> > Colin

Well, it seems I can't use the GUI for installing anything, no matter
what I do. I've changed the password for my wifes account several times
(with succes) but neither that nor the root password works in GUI...
But as I wrote earlier everything works in CLI. Something MUST be broken
between the two of them.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Colin Law

On 25 November 2011 19:41, Tom Rausner <tom@rausner.dk> wrote:
> Hi again, again...
>
>> fre, 25 11 2011 kl. 16:59 +0000, skrev Colin Law:
>
>> > The password you have to enter when installing s/w is the password of
>> > the current user. *Having managed to set up a root password then you
>> > need to set the password of the actual user using the passwd command.
>> >
>> > Colin
>
> Well, it seems I can't use the GUI for installing anything, no matter
> what I do. I've changed the password for my wifes account several times
> (with succes) but neither that nor the root password works in GUI...
> But as I wrote earlier everything works in CLI. Something MUST be broken
> between the two of them.

Can I just confirm what is happening - it is important in questions
like this to be quite clear.
1. If your wife logs out is she then able to log back in using her password?

2. What happens if, in a terminal, your wife types
sudo ls
and enters her password when asked

3. Describe exactly what it is that happens in the gui when she has
the problem. Exactly please, what app is she running and what is the
sequence of operations.

Colin

Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Avi Greenbury

Tom Rausner wrote:

> Well, it seems I can't use the GUI for installing anything, no matter
> what I do. I've changed the password for my wifes account several
> times (with succes) but neither that nor the root password works in
> GUI... But as I wrote earlier everything works in CLI. Something MUST
> be broken between the two of them.

That's not very likely, since they each ask the same coponent for
authentication.

Just to clarify, what is the username of the account for which you have
changed the password, what is the username of the account as which you
are logged in when trying to install software, and what, specifically,
are you asked for by the box requesting authentication? Does it mention
a username?

Is the account definitely a suodoer? If you open a terminal when logged
in as that user and type

sudo echo "A"

what happens?

--